Underwater LEDS…would like your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
all i can say is WOW,
some awseome effects done with the lighting,
you guys have me hooked and am going to tackle this winter,
i am thinking of 5 below water line; 2 on each side of the jets and maybe 1 in the middle of them(06-utopia 205 se twin jet) has anyone done this on an utopia yet, if so would love to see some pictures
a few questions:
i see guys have waterproofed their holes 3 different ways on here ( rubber gasket,
silicone and epoxy) which is the way to go? with epoxy waterproofing is probably the best how would you change/replace them if needed(as i imagine it would be almost impossible to get them off after expoxying them to the gelcoat)?
i have looked at abyssal and oznium( wow great prices there) any other sites
i should have a look at? i saw a couple of comments about spot vs. flood and that flood lights where not needed as the water will disperse the spot to look like a flood, any comments/suggestions?
the guy from swiss land(can't remember his name) said he has 2 pointing out and 2 pointing down ( probably a dumb question) but how did he point the ones down did he actually install them in the bottom of the boat?
has anyone installed them on thier docks? i was thinking of using some strip lighting?
any other thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks

LEDS on everyones mod list!

Pretty amazing how the LEDS have caught on ..I got the idea from Ocean LED they have some good products and ideas

If anyone else has any video footage of their LEDs in action will you please post it! Thanks Greg! Happy Holidays as well to my SeaDoo forum friends!!

To the guys that did the led lights on the inside.. where did you tie them in @? I had no problem doing the under water leds. (i posted a few pics already on this thread) but on my 2010 challenger i'm not sure where to tie in. I want to put them between all the sea cushions. I'm unsure of where to tie them in. All i did with my underwater ones was put them in under the water line and tie them into the night lights. So anytime i hit the dash switch for the night lights the underwater led lights come on as well..

137.jpg

I added a new switch on the dash. The power comes from the hot wire that also powers my lighter type plug and voltmeter. LED's draw such a low amount you can run a switch off almost anything. Just add an inline fuse.

255.jpg

for example if i put them in the front of the boat between the cushions i don't even know where to run the wire to connect to another wire to tie off from. the back of the boat is no problem i can drill a small hole and run the wires to the engine compartment... Front is what gives me questions..

WOW, looks really good, had never seen this before, I am impressed by your pics everyone ! I just placed an order of 6 superflux LED to put in my Glastron boat, too bad I can't put this on my GSX. I ordered from oznium.com and should arrive in 9 days.
Totally excited, YAAAY !

As you can see in earlier pics i had green underwater leds. Well this time i added blue under the water and i added green on the swim deck..
Here are a few pics some at dusk other at night.. I'll put a picture of the water to so you have a idea how dirty and cloudy it was

Water Pic.. Very dirty because the damn was open..
29.jpg

Here are the regular pics
82.jpg

83.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

35.jpg

Hey WOOSAB, I noticed that you had precut hydro turf on your boat. Did the kit from the 08 fit perfectly? You could run the wires all the way through the ski locker area just under the lip so they dont get wet but then i have now idea how to get them to the back by the battery. Looks like you would have to cut out a small hole in the foam under the deck.

i have just decided to add lights on the inside of the boat from the windshield back. I didn't want to cut into the foam.... I am going to put some in between the seats and more in the swim deck this weekend. I have also ordered more spot lights that i am going to face down in the water. Someone else said that earlier in the thread and i thought that was a great idea. I ordered 8 more. 4 geen 4 blue that i am going to face down. I also have several more that are going to go in the air vents on the side. I think those look the best when the boat is going down the water and you see the side glowing..

Did you wire those lights up the courtesy light switch? Again was your Hydro Turf kit for the 08 and did it fit right? You dont need to cut through foam to get to the front of the boat. there are openings on both sides were your bow filler cushion is hidden that you can access through ski locker. Just need a metal clothes hanger and a good flashlight to fish out the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hydro kit was for a 2010. It might have been the same but the box said challenger 2010. If your trying to buy a kit for a 2008 i would just call the company and ask if they are the same. I believe they are because the vaccum cover i just bought said it worked on 2008-2010 models. But i would call just to double check. I wired them up to the night running lights. So as soon as i turn on my green and white lights those come on aswell.

I'm hooked i added more lights today. i added 2 more under the water line and 5 on the swim deck. I now have 8 under the water and 8 on the swim deck.. I have yet to take night pics with the added lights i will try this weekend when we head out.. Also the ozium company is great. I had 1 light go out and they come with a 365 day warranty. I was at day 361 and they sent me a new light now questions asked..

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

i also added some in the vents
37.jpg

the lights are very cool but getting your boat or ski impounded is very uncool. I would be very carefull with this one especially in Canada because the fisheries would probably have a field day with this thinking its some kind of hightech fish lure or something. Spotlighting is highly illegal and they will take all of your rigging including boat motor trailer and tow vehichle. I'm not saying dont do it because I've seen how cool it does look, All I'm saying is know what you are up against before you do it. believe me I'm not a nay sayer. the way I look at it is "If its legal then that just means they have taken all the fun out of it allready" whatever "it" is, is up to you.

for example if i put them in the front of the boat between the cushions i don't even know where to run the wire to connect to another wire to tie off from. the back of the boat is no problem i can drill a small hole and run the wires to the engine compartment... Front is what gives me questions..

use a fish tape and you should be able to pull wires around the front and bring them back to where you should be able to easily work with them!

The pre-drilled holes the Oznuim puts on their floods are tiny...What 'little baby' screws did you guys use for the Flood Light mounting? Did you use Self Tapping Screws then Silicone or Micro-Fastners and Nuts then silicone?? I am ready to install with the exception of mounting hardware.

Thanks Gents

Hey there Occ...nice to see someone else from Cincy....what part are ya in? Im about 15 miles south of the river in Nky......anyway with your question.....Greg (Tresvatos) was one of the first people to install these lights, since he did it, i bet at least 15 more have done it successfully. If you read through the whole thread he gives more details. The screws are 3mm allen head type screws. Go with stainless or anything else will rust and fail. Drill holes through the hull. Use a washer, locking washer and nut on the inside. Also use 3M marine epoxy. Squirt it all over the back before you bolt the lights to the hull. Thats pretty much how everyone has done it. I have the lights waiting to go on...just havent done it yet.

Hey there Occ...nice to see someone else from Cincy....what part are ya in? Im about 15 miles south of the river in Nky......anyway with your question.....Greg (Tresvatos) was one of the first people to install these lights, since he did it, i bet at least 15 more have done it successfully. If you read through the whole thread he gives more details. The screws are 3mm allen head type screws. Go with stainless or anything else will rust and fail. Drill holes through the hull. Use a washer, locking washer and nut on the inside. Also use 3M marine epoxy. Squirt it all over the back before you bolt the lights to the hull. Thats pretty much how everyone has done it. I have the lights waiting to go on...just havent done it yet.

I pre drilled the holes and used small self tapping screws from Menards. They were about 1/2" long so you don't need to drill all the way thru the hull and a dab of 3m adhesive 5200 on the back and on the wire/screw holes. Trying to use nuts and washers will drive you insane and wear your back out... :)

Very nice LEDS. I'm tempted to put two under the swim platform myself. Here are some pics of my LED setup to add to the others.
cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 77
I pre drilled the holes and used small self tapping screws from Menards. They were about 1/2" long so you don't need to drill all the way thru the hull and a dab of 3m adhesive 5200 on the back and on the wire/screw holes. Trying to use nuts and washers will drive you insane and wear your back out... :)

Thanks Parrothd, I would like to use screws just looking for the best ones. I am dreading hanging upside down to put that baby ass nut on if I drill thru the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back