Trying to instal new reverse cable.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgie

I'm trying to install a new (from SeaDoo dealer) reverse cable on my 2004 Sportster. It is a 155HP 4TEC. Trouble is, there is NOWHERE in the shop manual where it shows how to remove it from the transom!!! So far, I've disconnected it from the reverse gate and taken off the rubber bellows. There is a brass pivot I have freed, but have no idea how it is attached to the cable sleeve. Behind this there is a (plastic??) nut that seems to snug up to the transom. On the engine side, there seems to be only a big glob of silicone where the cable exits.
Help!! Is there some attachment nut on the engine side? Is the cable pulled OUT through the transom or IN to the engine compartment to remove it? You would think the shop manual would cover this!

I had to do one on my older speedster, you pull the cable from inside engine bay from transom (this is of course if the design hasn't changed).

BMANN06 Thanks for the speedy reply. Just to be clear, you pull the cable INTO the engine compartment (this makes sense)? Any advice on how to remove the brass pivot from the block and get at the plastic nut that screws up to the transom on the outside??

Hey Bridgie, no prob.

Make sure the reverse bucket is unhooked and yes your going to pull the cable through the transom into the engine compartment. Or to further clarify pull the cable towards the front of the boat. If I recall correctly there will be a spot in the cable on the inside for you to hold your wrench on to keep cable from spinning, then you can unthread the brass fitting. This makin' any sense?

Think so. Removed the silicone glob on engine side and there is nothing there to hold the cable. It LOOKS like the nut on the jet pump side is all that holds it. If all else fails, I can admit defeat and take the boat (and my credit card) to the SeaDoo dealer :-(

Don't do that, save the credit card abuse for next month (its christmas!!) Post up a pic of each side and we'll be able to help you out. Have you got the new cable? You can also take a look at it for reference.

Get the pics up though ... that will get it sorted.

OK. I have had some success! I unthreaded the brass retainer nut (pivot?) as you suggested and pulled the cable a few inches out the stern, so I know it can be moved now. The only thing I can see standing in the way is the hex nut on the jet pump side of the transom. It is in the second picture (sorry, the pic is rotated 90 degrees). I'm pretty sure it must hold some type of retainer (possibly a split bushing??) that makes the cable passage through the hull water tight. Problem is, there is virtually NO ROOM to get a wrench on it. I don't think there is enough room to pull the cable through this nut (pulling it foreward) without it hanging up on the threaded portion. I could cut the cable with a hack saw and pull the end out through the transom. Then I could (hopefully) get a socket on the nut and get it off. As the first pic shows, there is nothing on the engine side that would prevent the cable end going through.

Attachments

• P1070806.jpg
    P1070806.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 111
  • P1070807.jpg
    P1070807.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 109
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back