Trim is gone? Steering is goofy?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 RXPT 255 trim not working, steering is kind of stiff and sloppy .. If that makes sense.
It also seams like its cavatating .

I just put new impeller, wear ring bearings and seals in back end of pump.last year

Anyone have any ideas what /where to start?
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a close look at it. Maybe something is broken?

Chester

Thx
Cycled steering, all cables , shafts are hooked up correctly or so it seams. I'm wondering if the trim motor/cable broke inside as it's pegged high on the trim gauge. So my theory is if it broke and is actually "over trim up" is what's causing the steering to be goofy feeling ! I haven't had time to investigate more than that, I've been on night shifts for 2 weeks.

Anyone know where the fuse is for the trim motor?
Thx

VTS failures are common. Motors get wet due to bad boots. Also the modules shirt out, and will pop MPEM fuses as well.

I would disconnect things relative the steering issue. Figure out what end is the issue kind if thing.

Fuse keeps popping, I'm not there my wife and friend are wrenching! Lol
Is the fuse for the MPEM? Or is there one for the trim motor too?

I think you'll discover the VTS mechanical system got water inside and ruined the elelctrical parts, probably the limit and position switches as well as the electric motor are often damaged by water.

I think a lot of guys disassemble it part way to reposition the mechanical linkage then leave it there, some guys must have everything working so they dig into it and repair/replace the damaged parts.

If you don't have the factory service manual for your ski then you can download it from seadoomanuals dot com and several other places

Motor gone, rubber boot full of holes. Housing full of water.
Good times!

FYI long needle nose pliers with a 90 on end worked just fine to get plastic nut off. No need to but BRP tool IMO

Making good progress! :) I hear that some of those motors are interchangeable with car door electric window motors. I recall they mentioned Nissan but not certain of the details.

Driver’s side window motor in a 1995 – 1998 Nissan 240SX, and the 1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX

Have fun!

Rob.

Yeah, I imagine the junkyard option might be getting progressively harder to negotiate.

Can't you guys make a drain hole or something on that to allow the water out or is that not really a viable option?

Yeah, I imagine the junkyard option might be getting progressively harder to negotiate.

Can't you guys make a drain hole or something on that to allow the water out or is that not really a viable option?

Maybe BRP figures it's safer to depend on a boot, rather than putting a drain hole in it. A little bit too much water in the hull and the water will seep into the casing anyways.

So spent a $1000 last year, new trim modules , new trim motor worked great end of season and first half of this season now it's not working again!!! I took it apart screwed trim to lowest setting. Unplugged trim motor and put back together.

So spent a $1000 last year, new trim modules , new trim motor worked great end of season and first half of this season now it's not working again!!! I took it apart screwed trim to lowest setting. Unplugged trim motor and put back together.

Lowest setting will give you squirrelly steering once you hit plane. Causes "bow steering". I'd move it to the middle area.

An idea:

I'm not sure if it's worth bothering with or rather passing it on to someone willing ti fix it right but I'm thinking you can wire up a DPDT (double pole double throw) 3-poaition switch to the trim motor, at least to make it move. That is, assuming the trim motor isn't rusty and water damaged.

I can draw a simple electrical schematic if you want.

Anyway you're right, the trim setup is rather cheesy and they all seem to experience this problem eventually.

An idea:

I'm not sure if it's worth bothering with or rather passing it on to someone willing ti fix it right but I'm thinking you can wire up a DPDT (double pole double throw) 3-poaition switch to the trim motor, at least to make it move. That is, assuming the trim motor isn't rusty and water damaged.

I can draw a simple electrical schematic if you want.

Anyway you're right, the trim setup is rather cheesy and they all seem to experience this problem eventually.

That a great idea... my trim motor is brand new, no water in it at all. When I did the motor I did a new seal too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back