Tree Fell on Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

njd6580

Hi Everyone,

Joined this forum in hopes that someone can help. When the snow came to northern NJ last month, a large tree fell and struck my SeaDoo Speedster. Unfortunately, there was some cosmetic damage, but I think it's definitely repairable. I've never had to go through this before, so hopefully someone has a few answers for me.

The fiberglass cracked in a few areas, the passenger console was crushed and the port side rail snapped. Other than that, I think it's ok.

I'm not sure where to even begin or whom to contact in regards to repairing this. Would I take it to a standard bodyshop for the fiberglass stuff and have to order a new rail from a SeaDoo dealer? Most motorcycle/pwc stores are not equipped to deal with this type of damage (unless I'm completely wrong).

As there are not many SeaDoo dealers in North NJ, I'm not sure where to go. So, I'm open to all suggestions. Also, if you have an estimate as to what this will cost, I could really use that.

I've attached a picasa gallery link with pictures of the damage. Many thanks for any help you can lend on getting this fixed.

Sincerely,
Nick

https://picasaweb.google.com/101603832467332561595/SeaDooDamage?authkey=Gv1sRgCLv26uDAm76uZQ

Hi NJD, Welcome to the forum. Sorry your first post had to be about tree damage.

First of all call your boat insurance rep and then maybe your house insurance rep. to see what can be done. They may recommend a glass guy.

A Seadoo boat dealer should have a glass guy employed. Better for parts too. If not, then taking it to any GOOD boat dealer should work. Ask around. Look in the yellow pages or google for fiberglass repair.

If you want to tow it to Michigan I know a great glass company...2 brothers own it.

I'm afraid I don't know much about identifying model years for speedsters. What year is it? Depending how old the boat is may determine the availability of new parts.

Question two, what's all that white stuff on the ground?

You definitely need to take it to a boat repair shop, if you don't know any, get a recommendation from your insurance company, like SDB said.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
From the photos
1.Is that a deer in the backgound?
2.Yep.Damage.
3.That damage needs to be able to be accessed from underneath the cracks.Grinding and then glass mat to rebuild the structure before any outside repairs.
4,That cover is not worth fixing
5.Screen is not worth fixing
6.The rail is silver anodised.Any good aluminium fabricator can fix that.It's only a slight curve throughout the entire rail.
7.All the underneath stuff has to be done 1st or it will end up with gelcoat cracks later on.
8.Same as number 7.It will have fractured glass for a few inches either side of the damage.The repairs need to be at least double the damage area.Woven matting(directional).At least 3/4 layers crossing over and then chopstrand mat over the top to clean it up.Then work on the outside.
DO NOT take it to a boat dealer.They will outsource the job.And you will pay for their time to outsource it.Look for boat builders,fibreglass mould makers,any fibreglass manufacturer of products.It's not what they are working on,it's the quality of work they do on any fibreglass product.
Hope this helps

wow...that is quite a bit of damage, depending on the year of your boat if you go through your insurance I would bet they will write it off. I know that the aluminum rails are retarded expensive...I think around $1,500 each....the windshield is $200 then the fibreglass will be at least $3K...then if you replace the passenger console who know's what that will cost!! Totally sucks but why did you park it in the forest...??

For you guys that don't know, that white stuff is call S N O W!!!!! It's something that we see up north this time of year as opposed to what you southerners see that's know as S U N this time of year. As for the reference to parking in the forest, that would be also know as back yard. GEESH!!! You southerners!!!!

Bummer on the boat. Do you have insurance? Sorry if you don't.

For you guys that don't know, that white stuff is call S N O W!!!!! It's something that we see up north this time of year as opposed to what you southerners see that's know as S U N this time of year. As for the reference to parking in the forest, that would be also know as back yard. GEESH!!! You southerners!!!!

Bummer on the boat. Do you have insurance? Sorry if you don't.

I'm from Canada so believe me, I know about snow.....that's why I wouldn't park anything of value under a tree or within a forest knowing that trees/limbs break off due to snow!!!

Sorry about this unfortunate turn of events. I don't really have any advice other than see what your insurance can do for you. Speedster is a nice boat and i wish you the best in getting her fixed.

I have to agree with some of the replies. 1. I am not sure why it would be parked where it is no matter what the weather. 2. Insurance looks like your best route in this case unless you know someone that can fix things cheap or you are able to fix things yourself.

Wow, first of all....sorry to see that and welcome here....BUT that kinda makes me sick to my stomach....and not just from the tree. That boat is way too nice to leave parked in the middle of the woods and in that condition prior to the tree falling on it. Look at all the mold, mildew and filth inside and on the seats. I'm gonna guess that is a 2004 to 2007 20 ft speedster. Very nice boat, that should be insured. If not, that really sucks. I would think that is going to be very expensive to fix at a shop. I would look into parting it out. That boat would be worth around 10,000 fixed...With twin engines, you could do fairly well parting it out.....i hope you took better care of it mechanically.

I looked the parts up just out of curiosity. The entire upper dash assembly can all be replaced....It will run you close to $2000 for all of it though. The bottom section looks like it is pulled away though, im not sure what it would take to fix that. Then the factory side rail can be replaced for like $1500. That only leaves the small fiberglass repairs on both sides. Im guessing if you really wanted to, you could fix it all for $5000. For me thats too much for a boat that is worth 10 to 12 grand. IF not insured, I would part it out.

I'm afraid I don't know much about identifying model years for speedsters. What year is it? Depending how old the boat is may determine the availability of new parts.

Question two, what's all that white stuff on the ground?

You definitely need to take it to a boat repair shop, if you don't know any, get a recommendation from your insurance company, like SDB said.

Lou

Lou.I think its a two thousand and tree model

Now that's funny.....reminds me of a joke, but it's too long to type out. something about 33 and turd,etc

Guy's I think we're beating a dead horse here. NJD posted this thread on 12-4 there have been 14 replies and NJD hasn't even acknowledged any answers or responded in any way, I think our efforts would be better used on other posts. Lets move on.

Lou

:rolleyes: That was 2 days ago. Today was the first time i had been on in 2 days. People frequently post on things more than 2 days old. Not all of us were just making useless jokes. I think i contributed something useful and im gonna have to disagree with you Lou. If youve noticed, there arent exactly a lot of pressing issues we need to "move on" to.

You did provide useful information, all that I'm saying it appears to me that NJD doesn't appear to appreciate the advice, I asked a legitimate question (what year) two days ago, which has yet to be answered.

Lou

what, NJD has been missing for 2 days?!?!! Seadoobuddy better start a new thread on this. Could be related to the Vandelay case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back