The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Misson Statement: to find and gather all helpful and relavent info relating to and concerning the X4 Seadoo Platform.

ok , now less formally, i'm putting this together to help all X4 buyers/owners can learn/troubleshoot theirs ski's, and in general, learn about them. what makes a X4? how is it different from others? why does everyone love/hate them? how do they handle? do i want to buy one?.....do you want to send me 20 bucks?.... no ok just checking....

but anyway to start off the x4 history:

from wiki:For 1995, the XP now sported the new X-4 hull which was based on race hulls used the previous year. The hull was extended at the rear, narrowed at the bow, and trim strips were added on both sides of the stern. This hull handled far superior to the previous hulls. It had removable trim tabs at the rear which could be shimmed with a kit offered over the counter to trim the hull as desired. Also, a 4 inch long pump spacer was added in front of the pump. While this spacer added slightly to the top speed, it hurt performance in rough water because of the extra time it took to fill the increased volume with water once the pump came unhooked. The engine's displacement was again increased, now to 720cc, rated at 85 horsepower. The 95s used the same upper deck as 94s, aside of some color and graphic changes. The graphics theme moved from green and red to yellow and purple, with the hull seat, intake grills, cowling and handle pole cover becoming yellow, while the grips, boarding handle, rub rail and traction mats moved to purple. The deck remained white.

A limited edition, the XP 800, was offered in 1995 as well. The 800 model featured a 110HP engine based on BRP's snowmobile motors. The new engine was 782cc and was equipped with pressure operated variable exhaust port timing valves, or (Rotax Automatic Variable Exhaust)R.A.V.E. valves, dual carburetors, and a tuned, variable water injected expansion chamber, which helped the XP 800 reach speeds of 57 mph. The 800 was also differentiated by a yellow hull, top deck, seat, cowling and handle pole cover. The cowling had a single gauge and no mirrors. The rear of the hull was pink, and the graphic accents were pink.

The 1996 XP carried over many of the features of the XP 800; the Type 787 R.A.V.E. valve motor, the trim strips, and had yellow upper and lower hulls. The standard XP cowling with adjustable mirrors and gauges returned. The graphic accents were pink, but the rear hull was left yellow.

The handling of all the second generation boats was still characterized by a "lean out" riding style.

X4 - Developed in a joint venture between Bombardier and Bullit Marine to create the perfect closed course racing hull for Sea-Doo's current 2 seater platform. It rode deeper with added strakes and a 3 piece "tunable" ride plate. Designed specifically for the 787 Rotax, however they used it on the 1995 XP (718). The X4 hull is found on the 1995 XP, XP800; 1996 XP; 1996-1999 SPX. Still the king of g-force in runabout class racing. Nothing in it's class even to this day can turn harder. Sport class and standup are the exceptions.

more coming soon!!!

when i use to have my 98 xp and 98 gsxl i did not like the look of the x4 hull, then when i found a cheap set of 96xps, thhese are my fav skis, you can turn so fast and spin and jump, awsome.

Ditto..., just got a 96XP yesterday. Really rode it hard for the first time today, what a blast. Small, light, 110HP, runs like a scalded dog, definately not a cruiser (that's what the GTI is for).

Lou

Ditto..., just got a 96XP yesterday. Really rode it hard for the first time today, what a blast. Small, light, 110HP, runs like a scalded dog, definately not a cruiser (that's what the GTI is for).

Lou

awsome lou, you added a ski to your collection eh, post up some pics of her, ya i love my xps, i am just going to be fixing them up over the summer and riding as much as possible, they love gas tho, i used 24 gallons of fuel today.

I love my 95 xp. Im a small guy so it doesnt feel tippy to me. Different story when my bigger friends ride it hahaha. Its always fun seeing the tip off of it!!! I love how quickly it turns!

Hi Brandon,

This ski runs better than it looks, the upper hood needs paint, and the body needs buffed and waxed, so these are the before pics. I'm thinking I'll ride her as is this summer and work on her this winter.

Lou

Attachments

• 96XP002.jpg
    96XP002.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 732
  • 96XP001.jpg
    96XP001.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 741
nothing wrong with that man mine looked like that condition to, just a little hydroturf and some 3m super duty compound and wax did her up good, also the hood i used a heated steam cleaner and it brought alot of the color back, also a heat gun works good to. Not sure if you get the pwctoday magizine but u can go there and get one for free and it has a part in there were someone restored one of the 96xps and it looked great. also look into this if your handlebar cover is nasty looking
http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/Handlebar-Covers-PWC/108BT109.html

Thanks, I'll check it out, inside it looks great, but a lot of sun fading on the outside. Fuel hoses have been replaced and the wear ring looks good. I'll change the pump oil, the previous owner was using Quicksilver injection oil, same as mine. Put off the restoration until this winter. Since I don't have a double trailer, I'll probably leave her on the trailer, covered at the lake this summer.

It's a way different ride than the 96GTI, I'm sore.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Lou

Lol there fun tho man. Ya sorry for the hijacking but its all about the love of the x4,

not to worry guys, this is why i created this.

and yeah i went from a gts 717 to my 96 xp and boy, it was totally diffrent, my calfs where sore that night and i'm 21 lol. tomorrow i think i'll go into mods and covertions, if anybody wants to add some rider's reviews that would be sweet. but for now its bed time:cheers:

I have been pimping the 787 X-4s since 2002 when I bought a 97 SPX. I now own two modded 96 XPs. My brother also owns a 99 SPX he bought in 2005 and is still on its original motor! An amazing feat considering the severe beating we give them! They are the best machine sea-doo ever made. Hands down.

The others are fun and have their place...but there is nothing like the 787 X-4.

29.jpg

30.jpg

24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just wondering, just got this ski over last weekend, and I'm really impressed, way different ride than the GTI. One question, and I can't seem to find the answer. What should the top speed be? Mine is topping out 54-55mph, does this sound about right. Its only about 5mph faster than my GTI but sure feels faster. I'm going by the speedo, I haven't checked it with a GPS.

Lou

You guys all suck. I've been looking for a good x4 800 for 2 years. Every time I find one... it's either beat, or they want more than it's worth.

Hi,

Just wondering, just got this ski over last weekend, and I'm really impressed, way different ride than the GTI. One question, and I can't seem to find the answer. What should the top speed be? Mine is topping out 54-55mph, does this sound about right. Its only about 5mph faster than my GTI but sure feels faster. I'm going by the speedo, I haven't checked it with a GPS.

Lou

thats about right, they go about 55-57 mph stock. there are things that can be done to get them going 70mph, but thats another post lol. x4's really are not really top speed beasts. they get very "bouncey" at high speeds in any sort of chop. however you can out turn anyone. i was out the other day and saw a rxp putting in the water. so we started running the main channel of the lake together. in the strights, he killed me once i hit 53 mph, i was able to hang (kinda) out of the hole. but when we came to a turn i turned in 1/4 of the time it took him, then he had to play catch up for a about 1 min lol.

You guys all suck. I've been looking for a good x4 800 for 2 years. Every time I find one... it's either beat, or they want more than it's worth.

You gotta shell out decent dough for a nice one...the clean ones are getting rare. You aint gonna find a cherry 96 XP for $1200 and last on CL longer than a few hours.

the right one will come along bud. i got mine,non-running, on a double trailer with a running 93 sp for $1200. the guy and his dad bought both of them brand new off the showroom floor and keept all maintenance paperwork since day one. when problems started popping up on the xp they had a shade tree guy working on it and ripping them off. long story short they got sick of them and just wanted them gone. the problem with the xp was just a solenoid.
042001_1114[03].jpg

Got mine last May. Fun as all hell.

32.jpg

I'm not complaining, 55 is plenty fast, I think I'll keep it stock. I checked the compression, 145 & 147, not too bad for a 15yr. old ski.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back