The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Injection

ever wonder what the RAVE looking cap on the muffler is and what is does? well here you go:

from seadoo racing hand book:

WATER INJECTED EXHAUST SYSTEM
Several factors necessitate the use of a water cooled, water injected, tuned exhaust system. One
major concern is overall bilge temperature, which is kept low by keeping the part of the tuned pipe
closest to the engine jacketed with water and the remainder of the exhaust system cool by
injecting water directly into the exhaust stream. Injecting water into the exhaust system not only
helps keep the exhaust system cool, but also changes the characteristics of the sonic wave in the
tuned pipe. The water injected exhaust system reduces exhaust gas temperature, therefore
increasing exhaust gas density in the tuned pipe. The sonic wave moves slower in this cooled,
denser air so it takes longer to reflect back to the exhaust port. The net effect is that the tuned pipe
can be shorter yet achieving the same results as a longer “dry” tuned pipe.
By changing the amount of water injected into the exhaust stream, the characteristics of the
engine power band can be altered. It is important that enough water is injected into the exhaust
stream to keep the rubber hoses and muffler from damage due to excessive heat.
In Limited Class racing an aftermarket exhaust pipe and manifold are allowed. The water box or
muffler however must remain stock with no modifications. When purchasing an aftermarket pipe
consult the manufacturer of the pipe to determine if the pipe is race legal by your race sanctioning
body (IJSBA). Some pipes will fit your craft, but may not be race legal because of inadequate head
pipe cooling or mounting of the pipe requires relocation of the waterbox. Waterbox relocation is
illegal by several sanctioning bodies for Limited Class racing.
XP 800 EXHAUST WATER REGULATOR OPERATION AND REMOVAL
The XP 800 models utilize a water regulator located on top of the muffler to control the amount of
water injected into the exhaust system at the tuned pipe head and the muffler box. The purpose of
this is two fold:
1. It effectively controls the exhaust wave speed thereby creating a more usefull or broader
power curve.
2. It cools the exhaust system and hoses which prevents heat damage.
The water regulator is calibrated for use on XP 800’s which have no engine modifications. The
regulators works quite well on the stock watercraft and provides a noticeable increase in performance
over models not so equipped. If the watercraft is not being raced but modifications are
made to the engine such as increased compression, changes in port timing, etc. the water
regulator will not deliver the correct amount of water for optimum performance. Recalibrating the
regulator water flow will require most users to experiment with different size holes being drilled
into the regulator then threading and fitting the holes with jets. Various size jets will then be tried
until the best performance is found.
The water regulator has been disallowed for competition usage by the IJSBA. Furthermore any
valves used within the entire engine cooling system must be of the fixed type. This rule was placed
into affect during the mid 1995 racing season. Due to this ruling the water regulator must be
removed and the exhaust system must be “Hard Jetted” (fitted with jets of the fixed type).

the ride plate extensions suck...the trim tabs are good if you want to keep your nose down. they suck for jumping...you go through the wave.

Man your cleaned up great. What all have you done to it.

Nothing really. It was clean as hell when I got it. Peeled the stickers off and rebuilit the pump. Also bypassed the vts, have wires hooked up to pos/neg if I decide to move the trim while I'm out. Thinking about painting the hood, but I'm not sure how to paint plastic. Gonna order the neoprene handlebar cover this Friday. My cover is still in good shape, just like the look of the cover.

Ya the cover looks really good. What pump did you rebiuld. The oil pump or. Jet pump. Ya can't beat that cover for 29 bucks lol.

I know the X-4 has the trim tabs. I assumed he meant that the trim tabs suck for jumping. Not much into racing, so i don't want to take away from that ability of the ski.

If that xp wasn't so far away i would pick it up real quick.

Just noticed this spx as well:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2369711829.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I Crazy???

You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but I have an opportunity to trade the 96 XP I just got for a 96 SPX. The SPX is almost perfect, it looks brand new. The trailer looks new also.

My question is this, how much performance will I be losing, looking at the Seadoo manual it looks like the difference is the motor, a 787 vs 717, or 25hp. I haven't decided and would appreciate your opinions. Should I trade brute force for a pretty face????

Here's a picture.

Lou

Attachments

• 96SPX001.jpg
    96SPX001.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 222
You're probably right, I think I'll keep the XP, I might not get the opportunity to get another one at this price.

I guess what I was comparing it to a couple of dirt bikes I use to have. I'm not a big guy and I had a Suzuki 185 dirt bike that I sold and bought a Kawasaki 350, the Kawa was way to big and too much power for me to handle, while the Suzuki was just the right size for me. I guess this is not a fair comparison.

Lou

Keep the xp man the 787 motor is a beast you will be going so fast no one will know what she looks like out there anyways. Work on looks when u got the time.

so the funny story is(sorry for the delay):

i was out on the lake last weekend, and as i'm putting the xp and spx into the water a guy on a kawi 1100 starts talking trash. how he had just put $1500 into a new motor, pipe, FA's, and prop, and how nobody can touch him. i was intending on just ignoring him and it worked for the first half hour on the lake. well when my father got to the lake and me and the gf when to help him get the gts in the water he comes up to me and says " i noticed you have a seapoo you know those thing are to busy blowing up and sucking to do anything. and xp's are slow and suck. i would not ride a seadoo or even let one tow me in."

i was just going to let this go, i was out here to relax with my dad and gf. i replied " yeah whatever man, have a nice day." and everything was fine for another hour or so untill he found us in the cove we where in and want to race. now this lake we were on was pretty small about 2 miles long with 4 sections of striaght-a-ways and sharp turns going in and out of the striaghts. i was here to relax and replied "no thank man, maybe another time"

he replied, " aw its ok you don't stand a chance anyway." then turns to my gf and says, "hey baby if you ever want to ride with a real man on a real machine, leave your p***sy of a bf and come ride a real man!"

now this was the last straw, no one talks to my girl like that, i said, " ok man you got your race and when i leave you in my wake you can come back here and apologize to her."

so we lined up and got started i beat him off the line but he quickly cought up and started to pull ahead, until we got to the first turn, when he had to nearly come to a complete stop and i took the curve at 40mph and kept trucking. it continued like this the whole race. and i won only because of the turns in the lake. at this he got very upset and did not say he was sorry to my gf and sprayed me as took off, while giving us the finger. anyway at the end of the day we see mister kawi flagging out on the far side of the dam, broke down. i was the bigger man tho and offered him a tow in, which he took saying he had been there for two hours and no one would stop and tow him in. i also offered to help him see what was wrong with his ski, he had threw a rod, right out the side of his case. so not only did he get towed in by a seadoo, and beat by a ski that was "to busy blowing up to do anything." his invincable kawi blew.

Great story,

This just came up on Craigs List, after salavating for the last 5 min. and realizing it would end my marriage, I thought someone else might like it.

It's located in south central Kentucky.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/boa/2381473803.html

Lou

i don't like how those ride. there bigger and feel more "slugish" but a 951 in and x4 and then wipe the smiles of the rxp-x guy's faces. there is a video/ thread links i posted earlier.

i don't like how those ride. there bigger and feel more "slugish" but a 951 in and x4 and then wipe the smiles of the rxp-x guy's faces. there is a video/ thread links i posted earlier.

I can't believe "slugish", could ever be used in association with a 2002xp with a 951?????????????????

Lou

I can't believe "slugish", could ever be used in association with a 2002xp with a 951?????????????????

Lou

in compairsion to a x4 it feels that way. its not slow, and not slugish compaired to other ski's. but its just the complete oppsite of an x4, which is small light and powerful. the "simi" hull is larger, heavier, and not so easy to throw around. you can tell by riding on that seadoo was on the way to the modern "luxury yachts" they started making in 04. they are a smoother ride tho, and still plenty fun.

Purple...was that a repost or did it really happen to you?

When I heard all these SXR guys were shoehorning those 1100 motors into the standups I wondered if they know the history of those motors.

Every one I've bought or seen on CL thats broke...its got a rod thru the cases.

I actually have a cherry 1100 motor sitting in my garage pending sale right now.

Lou...it sounds like you got "trailer queen-itis" you want the absolutely mint machines regardless of what it is. I'm telling you now...just like I have been for 9 years....the 787 X-4 is the best. Period. They are all fun in their own right...not nothing compares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy story purple. I agree with nothing like these skis. My buddy has a 08 rxp and I've had 01 xp and 98gsxltd w the 951 and none of those skis feel as fast or handle like the 787 x4 I'm hoping to get my hands on a 99spx someday I just love the graphics and the black bottom.

Purple...was that a repost or did it really happen to you?

When I heard all these SXR guys were shoehorning those 1100 motors into the standups I wondered if they know the history of those motors.

Every one I've bought or seen on CL thats broke...its got a rod thru the cases.

I actually have a cherry 1100 motor sitting in my garage pending sale right now.

Lou...it sounds like you got "trailer queen-itis" you want the absolutely mint machines regardless of what it is. I'm telling you now...just like I have been for 9 years....the 787 X-4 is the best. Period. They are all fun in their own right...not nothing compares.

it actually happened to me. i just thought that he was some dumb redneck that just threw a bunch of expencive mods on his ski and expected it work flawlessly. i had no idea thoses 1100's had case issues... but when we popped his seat off there was a whole in the block.

@dr honda good luck man. its time you joined the x4 club.

You know you guys are right. I've got the best of both worlds and I'm going to be happy with the 2 SeaDoos that I now have.

I've got a GTI, very stable, enough power, a great cruiser. And the XP for more fun than you should be allowed to have. I'm not going to look anymore, just concentrate on the 2 ski's that I have now.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back