The X4 Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
just a suggestion, may look kinda cool if you put that symbol that is between the sea doo on all the skis.

Huu? Not sure what you are asking. On mine... it's a dot.

Anyway... I had a chance to sprinkle a little love on the ski tonight. I got the oil drained out, the filter changed, the system refilled with XPS Synth, and the system bleed. I also gave it a good once over, and I think it's ready for a test run.

I also made a few new decals. I scrapped off the old purple hull numbers, and replaced them with my own. I also gave the ski a name. Scurvy Dog 2.

Sorry for the bad pics... but the sun was bright, and it washes out my phone camera.

88.jpg

89.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ya thats what i meant the little dot thing, but it would prob only look good i guess if the sea doo was had the a and the d how they have on the ski..... looks good tho man when are you taking your first ride? let us know how it goes.

Stickers....

Hi guys,

OK... here's the deal....

1 color = $3
2 color (like in my picture) = $5
Shipping in the USA = $2.50

I have Black, Silver, White, Yellow, and Teal sitting here. I can make the stickers in any color you want, but if it's a color, other than I listed... it will take me a few days to get a roll of vinyl. It's not a big deal... I just won't be able to ship it until Tuesday/Wed.

The 2 color stickers will be sent as 2 stickers. To install them, you will use the wet method, so it can be positioned correctly on your ski.

THE WET METHOD....

get a spray bottle, and put a few drops of dish soap in it, and top it off with water. (very little soap is needed) Spray the surface you are going to install the sticker. Gently place the sticker on the surface, and when you have it in position, use a squeegee, and smooth the sticker down. (this will also get rid of all the air bubbles) Once you've squeegee'ed out the extra water, remove the mask. A squeegee can be made out of an old Tupperware lid, or any flexible plastic.

To add the second color... wet everything again (including the mask of the second color) and lay it over top of the first color. You should see the fist color though the mask of the second. Line it up, and squeegee it down.

The wet method works very well, and allows you to position the stickers without it sticking to the hull.

If you want a sticker... you can send a paypal to:

Sell4aro@comcast.net

In the note section of the paypal... just tell me the color, and how many you want. If you want them shipped out of the country, PM me first so I can figure out a shipping price.

Lou:

I'll have your stickers in the mail today.

All:

I found a few things that needed my attention... but I think I'm ready to test it in the water. It may be a short trip... but I'll let you know how it goes.

sorry guys i've been riding to much to post anything, i'll get some more tech stuff/stories up soon

You are the Tech leader on this one... Get on it! (j/k)

So... I gave the X4 a shake down today. I was only out for an hour or so... but it was a good time.

Since the ski had been sitting for years... I backed the trailer into the water, and fired it up, just to make sure the water was pumpping. Once I had water at the piss hole... I gave the throttle a blip... and it seemed to respond.... so, I took it off the trailer, and parked the truck.

Once I got back to the water... I pushed off, and gave the starter a go. It re-started instantly !! I idled out past the no wake zone... and eased onto the throttle. It reved up nicely... and after tooling around at 30 mph... I mashed the throttle down, and the 800 came to life.

That ski is very fun to ride. It wouldn't be worth a dam for a destination type ski... but for cutting a corner, jumping wakes... and general hooliganisums... it's a good time!!

99.jpg

100.jpg

Today I took my X4 to jump some MONSTER waves at the Outer Banks, NC. Those big marlin hunter boats throw beautiful 6ft waves behind them. Got so high once, I almost decided to bail, but the X4 landed gracefully and kept on chuggin. I now realize the need for Hydro-Turf, I slipped and almost busted my ass numerous times. I think I can put this day down as one of the funnest of my life, really, I can't think of any funner things to do (with clothes on).

Exactly, the first time I rode a SeaDoo, I thought this is almost better than sex, as the years go by (I'm in my late 30's), it gets better than sex.

Lou

Hey Purple People Eater:

How about a pictorial on how to adjust the trim tabs?? (seem to remember you saying that they are adjustable) I noticed that with my 240 Lb butt on it... it would start to bounce in the rough water, and the only way to get it back to flat was to trim the entire way down, and slow down. (yes I was standing with my weight forward) It was fine with my 180 Lb nephew. He could get it up into the 50's. Max I got was upper 40's before it would start bouncing.

Hey... I know you guys said it was king of G-force in the corners... but I don't know. My big Polaris Genesis can corner just as hard. BUT... the XP will pull faster out of the corner. Probably because the Genesis is over 700 Lbs with fuel.

trim tabs are not really adjustable. they are replaceable tho, i could do a write-up on if you guys want. and when you hit chop they do start "hopping" the only way to stop is just slow down and allow it to "settle down" tabs will help with that. and to corner really hard trim down and lean toward the back to keep the pump in the water. to do a 360, put your weight toward the bow and let it spin on it nose. as far as tabs go 3 degree tabs are concidered the best for racing. i'll do some more research and post back.

Bouncing

When mine starts to bounce on choppy water, I make it stop by standing up and letting my body absorb the impact. I basically act as the shock absorber. It's exhilarating: when going full out on choppy water, the ski spends maybe 40% of its time in the water, and the other simply flying through the air. I know because when it lands on top of a wave, the ski pulls away giving you the feeling that it wants to go even faster. Riding into the wind makes this even more intense.

LONG LIVE X4's!

When mine starts to bounce on choppy water, I make it stop by standing up and letting my body absorb the impact. I basically act as the shock absorber. It's exhilarating: when going full out on choppy water, the ski spends maybe 40% of its time in the water, and the other simply flying through the air. I know because when it lands on top of a wave, the ski pulls away giving you the feeling that it wants to go even faster. Riding into the wind makes this even more intense.

LONG LIVE X4's!

this happened to me this past weekend. with my 110 lbs gf on the back i was just flying out of the water. it was really fun.

trim tabs are not really adjustable. they are replaceable tho, i could do a write-up on if you guys want.....

.....as far as tabs go 3 degree tabs are concidered the best for racing. i'll do some more research and post back.

Please do.

This morning, while drinking my coffee... I did some research on the trim tabs.

1) I found some old threads saying the R&D 3 degree tabs are "Da-Bomb". (Has anyone here tried to shim the stock tabs to 3 degrees?)

2) I found someone referencing that you can shim with plexi-glass, and said he found it in the "Racing manual." (I looked in the 96 racers hand book but couldn't find anything on it) He also didn't say a thickness of plexi. BUT... I did find that there was a factory shim kit. (p/n 295500359)

3) All the pictures of the stock trim tabs (Seadoo calls them stabilizer plates) that I find... show them being small, and black plastic. Mine are larger, and aluminum. (but not cast like the R&D or Works tabs) Did they change over the years? I contacted the original owner, and he said he didn't do any mods to my ski.

4) In the instructions for the factory Stabilizer plates (p/n 295 500 336) they also reference the shim kit and to look at "Competition Bulletin 95-1 for proper adjustment." Does anyone have that bulletin??

If anyone knows... post up. I know that I will be doing some work with them, since every small ski I've owned, I've needed to change the ride plate because of my weight. (235 ~ 240 Lbs)

hmm id like to know more about the trim tabs as well, Are they hard to remove and what advantages do you get by swapping them out? id like to change the ride plate on my 96 xp it has a slight bend in it, but it looks like a bigger job than i want to tackle

Today I took my X4 to jump some MONSTER waves at the Outer Banks, NC. Those big marlin hunter boats throw beautiful 6ft waves behind them. Got so high once, I almost decided to bail, but the X4 landed gracefully and kept on chuggin. I now realize the need for Hydro-Turf, I slipped and almost busted my ass numerous times. I think I can put this day down as one of the funnest of my life, really, I can't think of any funner things to do (with clothes on).

Hydroturf is almost a no brainer for any rider...but esp. wave jumping. I wear booties too, and have foam pads on the hull to dig my heels into. I tried to jump a wave on a stock customers boat and almost killed myself.

Exactly, the first time I rode a SeaDoo, I thought this is almost better than sex, as the years go by (I'm in my late 30's), it gets better than sex.

Lou

At least with sex there is less chance to blow out a knee or ankle! LOL

hmm id like to know more about the trim tabs as well, Are they hard to remove and what advantages do you get by swapping them out? id like to change the ride plate on my 96 xp it has a slight bend in it, but it looks like a bigger job than i want to tackle

Ok...Tabs. Here is what I know. They do help ALOT with porposing by keeping the nose down. The 3 degree R&D tabs allegedly were like a mph faster too. They are great for that....BUT the SUCK for wave jumping. They make you nose into waves and you get no height.

I had a set of Oddessey tabs back in the day that had skegs that followed the contour of the hull lines...those were the best set ever. Too bad they tore off! I have only seen one other set since.

Forget the tabs. Just throw a good set of sponsons on there and hang on tight while cornering.

what about ride plate or grate any advanteges over changine either one out? mine ride plate has a slight bend in it but idk if i want to mess swaping it? also i am going to be ordering a new impellor next week and i am still stuck on what to get i love my top speed but i love to hall and then do 360s and jump out of the whole any ideas

Personally I ride plate, IMO, isnt worth the money. A grate will make a noticeable difference. That and an impeller upgrade. I run a top loading grate. May loose a little top speed but help a lot in choppy water. My impeller is like a blender. Weeds to in through the top loader and get blended to salad. Never had to stop to get weeds out of it before.

I guess that's why SeaDoo started putting the seats on a shock absorber on the 97XP's.

I don't like sounding dumb, but what exactly to the trim tabs do? Nose in or nose out? Seems line sponsons would be a better solution.

Lou

Forget the tabs. Just throw a good set of sponsons on there and hang on tight while cornering.

Tabs and sponsons are totally different animals. Sponsons are for cutting a corner... tabs are to control the hull in a straight line. Right now... because of my weight... I can't get the XP past 45 mph because it will start bouncing. (standing with my weight forward, and the VTS down)

Different rider weights, riding styles, and riding conditions will dictate the hull setup. As above... Minnetonka wouldn't like the way I would set up a hull, because he rides the surf, and jumps waves. Since I'm riding rough rivers... I need help keeping the pump loaded, and the nose down.

These are the problems with the old hulls. (this was common talk in the mid 90's) Almost no one really takes about "Tuning the Hull" on the new skis because they are big, and heavy. They just punch threw the chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back