The Seadoo Engine Shop (SES) - Review

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think simply people need to be aware that this guy doesnt have what it takes to be a small business doing large $$ jobs and having to compete with the no fault warranties.

Ive always said a guy can have plenty of great transactions, but its the problem ones and how they deal with it that counts. In that aspect, it sure looks like a total failure.

These complaints have been stacking up for years...If I get time Ill dig up all the old threads and post them. Tom learned his lesson last time it does him no good to defend himself, to say he dug his hole twice as deep was an understatement.

EDIT: here is the super trainwreck thread... His SN is BRP Tech. Post #206 sums it up very well. There is also a couple other older threads.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?39604-has-anyone-used-ses-for-engines

Last edited by a moderator:
I think tonka remembers him making up different screen names of pwc today to post positive feedback and reviews

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

LOL I do remember that! And the picture on his website of this huge facility when hes either working out of his garage or a larger garage type building behind a reality office. We never really got a definitive answer on that one, but it sure wasnt the picture on his website.

Its been a broken record for a long time. Glad many guys have had success....but just bc your engine went well doesnt mean other guys havent had horror stories.

Ive never used them...but I cant say Ive ever heard a story like this about Full Bore. Anyone?

Good info, Minnetonka4me...obviously the 'drama' has been prevalent for years.
That's one of the beauties of forums like this...the info never dies! And is easy to go back and research.

Thanks again for your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think simply people need to be aware that this guy doesnt have what it takes to be a small business doing large $$ jobs and having to compete with the no fault warranties.

Ive always said a guy can have plenty of great transactions, but its the problem ones and how they deal with it that counts. In that aspect, it sure looks like a total failure.

These complaints have been stacking up for years...If I get time Ill dig up all the old threads and post them. Tom learned his lesson last time it does him no good to defend himself, to say he dug his hole twice as deep was an understatement.

EDIT: here is the super trainwreck thread... His SN is BRP Tech. Post #206 sums it up very well. There is also a couple other older threads.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?39604-has-anyone-used-ses-for-engines

OK, I read all of the posts in that thread and the majority were positive comments!!! If I ever need a second rebuild, without hesitation it will go back to Tom. Even the OP has stated in this thread he may use him again in the future. As for me, I am still enjoying my rebuild that for the price no one else could come anywhere close to and was on time for delivery. Yes, as pointed out I did document my experience and maybe he was aware of my thread.... or maybe not. BUT, what about the other members here who have had similar experiences. But one thing is clear to me, the haters of SES will keep on hating!

I have talked to Tom and we have worked this deal out he has made good on engine with me. He didn't think I was that upset since every time I called him I didn't blow a gasket so I should of told him how mad I was over this. The main thing that went all wrong was the lack of tracking info and all the steps involved. He did provide me the info from UPS showing they wouldn't deliver the engine. Tom is out right now money himself from UPS not delivering the engine to me. So Tom is shipping it tomorrow to me and giving me all the tracking info. In the end please give Tom a chance to do your engine. I am sure he has done way more good jobs than bad jobs but we all even me just remember the bad ones. Just keep on checking on the progress and get your tracking info with your engine. In the end he is making it right which I am not sure some of the other companies would of. He does want to keep all his customers happy. I was mad in the beginning but I am fine now. I still want to see that little USPS lady carry that engine to my door.

That's cool. So now I would call UPS and find out why they wouldn't deliver it, that would bug the crap out of me. Like I said we ship 70+ often and it's never a problem. What happens when your wife orders something 60#'s and they won't deliver it? I know, you'll worry about that if/when it happens.

yes, I have a tracking. For some reason UPS keeps on saying the address my address is undeliverable. I don't know why UPS comes to my house all the time.

Not to sound like a broken record, but did you CALL ups yet?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

All they said was the address was undeliverable. It doesn't matter to ask anymore on it since the engine is not in their hands. I get stuff delivered all the time to my house from UPS. My house and neighborhood have been there over 30 years. If I see the UPS driver I will ask him. I am sure you would remember a 60Lbs rubbermaid container with zipties all over it. I saw the order screen that has my address and it is correct.

Do you have a usps tracking number. I have never seen usps deliver anything of this weight and size

96 XP800!

As I said...its about what happens when issues arise. Im not saying issues arise all the time but these posted timelines on said issues, shipping without tracking...they are bad enough to complain on a forum. I personally would not use him but thats just my opinion. I perfer to work with local machine shops.

I have the USPS tracking number it is live. Should be here Thursday or Friday. USPS will deliver the package if it is under 70Lbs. Me I have no choice in a local machine shop. No one that I know in the Chicago area does 2-stroke jetski engines. I am sure I can get people to bore the cylinders but if they don't do it for living and they mess-up you are pretty much screwed. I am sure there might be some small mom and pop place but who know where they area. I really haven't found no local machine shop the works on power sport engines(machine work) unless you have a Harley. We have dealers but would you trust most of them to do work like this? I am sure they farm it out also.

Yeah I hear ya but they are out there. Hope everything works out for you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

For me I really only see 3 competitors in the personal water craft engine rebuilds. The 2 smaller companies SES and Fullbore and than you have SBT which I am sure pumps out 10 times has many engines a year. Me I wanted to give to give the smaller guy a shot for the quality in the work. Communication just failed on my end here and Tom is making it right. I don't know if a larger company would care as much if I had this issue. I am sure SBT does ok engines they must be ok and must work most of the time or how could they still be selling them. I choose the smaller buy since they use better parts in the engines. I would in the end have shipping issues than engine issues anytime of day. The engines looks good from SES and he does uphold the warranty for the full time. I would give Tom another shot with my engines.

I'm not so sure I agree. With SBT if you blow an engine under warrant you have a new one in 3 days. With SES you could have it in 3 months , 6 months, 9 months.... This is in no way lack on anything on your part man. You are the freaking customer. It is his responsibility to make it a smooth transaction and are satisfied in every way. Your only job should be pay the man and send your core. That is all

96 XP800!

That is main issue with the smaller guys they can't send you another engine in like 2-3 weeks like SBT since most of the other shops use your engine. Has anyone here used the SBT warranty and how did it go? I really want to hear if they warrantied it 2 twice or more during the warranty period.

I've also been told SBT uses some rather cheap internals and bores out the heads to reduce compression... but I don't have personal experience with them. Only their parts which I now refuse to use and go only OEM. One of their throttle cables lasted ONE season on my XP. OEM one worked fine for years.

The engine is in route from the USPS. I have used other SBT parts like gaskets, wear rings, other things, and a reverse cable for my boat. They are the only one who still make the cable for 1800 Sportster so I had no choice except to have a place like motion pro make a custom cable. It has been good for 3 seasons since I have had it. Use us reverse a lot in jetboat. I could see them modifying the engines to get them past the warranty time. There are 2 speeds in jetsking..wake and full.:thumbsup:

I have the engine. USPS delivered it today. So the Post Office will deliver Seadoo engines. Wife just signed for it. I will look at this evening. Like a kid on Christmas morning..

I have the engine. USPS delivered it today. So the Post Office will deliver Seadoo engines. Wife just signed for it. I will look at this evening. Like a kid on Christmas morning..

AWESOME! I would triple check all of your connections, bolts, lines, alignment and everything else! You do not want to grenade that engine a third time!!! Looking forward to seeing how it runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back