The Seadoo Engine Shop (SES) - Review

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
that is what I was thinking also about the story since he really didn't think about and that would be kind of a hard lie to keep up with.

I can not comment on any personal experience with SES but it sounds to me like the big complaint with them is shipping.

To me it doesn't matter who the business is whether you ship it yourself or through a broker from the time you receive the item to the time the buyer receives it, it is your responsibility. You are providing a service and that should not stop until your client receives it. If your broker is the one having issues you are the one using them and paying them so you should be making sure they are actually shipping the item.

In this day and age there should be no reason that tracking numbers are not provided and even the broker can send them to the receiving party.

I am not saying any of SES's responses are true or not but if these shipping issues are happening it is his responsibility to make sure the client receives their item and if it is in fact the broker's fault it is his responsibility to correct the problem and guarantee the client receives their item in a reasonable time.

I could not agree more with this post. Regardless whether or not he ships it or he uses a broker, it is 100% HIS RESPONSIBILITY until the engine is in your hands. In this day it is absolutely ridiculous to not have tracking numbers available for the customer as soon as the item ships.
I have heard good things about the engines he builds and his prices are excellent. It just seems that this exact issue pops up too frequently. This was the deciding factor in me choosing not to use SES.

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you I just shipped a Polaris 650 3 Cylinder packaged in a Rubbermaid tub from California to Illinois that I sold on ebay through standard UPS ground. It took 4 days and there was no special handling, weight fees or any comments on the tracking log. I walked in dropped it off and they only asked, "Whats in the box!". It was fast and easy although it cost $80.

BTW: The Polaris 650 is a heavy Biotch.

I have shipped a 750 Polaris engine also I think to Canada and I had no issues with UPS. I will call tomorrow and what the BS line is for the day. Unless by a miracle the engine is at my door.

After 9 months I would be calling and emailing daily. I guess he doesn't realize that people are way more understanding if you just tell them the truth. If he would have just told you "hey I'm sorry I am running behind I need to get new orders out before warranty work" or whatever the actual truth is, you would be much more understanding.

96 XP800!

it is so weird that folks get inconsistent treatment. i had mine done 1 1/2 yrs ago took 2 mo. he called me to let me know it was being shipped and provided a tracking no. he was also very quick to call back if he missed my call. so sorry for those out there that are having issues. that sucks.

I hate to say this but after 9 months with no tracking number, no follow up calls, and the constant run around I think that someone else is enjoying you're engine. I have been closely following this thread hoping for some good news but I am still waiting. I really hope this works out for you.

Every now and then a SES thread pops up. When there is a issue it almost always has to do with a shipping concern. I really hope this gets resolved for you. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't Tom on this forum? Someone ping him and see if he would like to comment

96 XP800!

This kind of reminds me of my high-performance r/c boat racing days, when I was having trouble buying a hull. This company advertised in all the major r/c magazines at the time and in fact had given a hull complete with engine, hardware, radio, etc for review to one of the rags, which is what prompted me to order one. This is in the days before the Internet, by the way...late '80s. I'd called and placed the order, talked to the owner, everything seemed cool.
Then weeks of...nothing.
Our club was hosting the N.A.M.B.A. Nationals that year (THE big race of the season) so I wanted to have a new boat to run. Very long story short, I was getting the runaround much like the o.p., everything from 'having trouble with the molds' (believable) to it was shipped and lost, and no wait, that wasn't YOUR hull that was someone else's and yours is on the way, no wait...blah blah blah blah blah. Keep in mind I'd forked over nearly $500 for a bare hull and was wanting SOME sort of resolution. As luck would have it, a co-worker at one of our sister facilities happened to live close to the r/c boat shop address, so I asked him to stop by. Turned out it was just a dude working out of his garage, and his demand had far, far, FAR exceeded his ability to supply. After learning the circumstances, I called the owner and told him about my friend stopping by and after that, the dude was just flat-out straight up with me, told me it would be at least 6 more weeks before my hull would be ready, but that he did have one of a different color he could send, and he'd refund me $100. So I took the deal and ran.

The point is, I am sure SES is a good business based on all the comments in this forum and others, but it is also apparent there are a couple of significant issues they need to deal with and be upfront with their customers.

AND GIVE TRACKING INFO, for crikey's sake!

I did talk to Tom on Friday and I believe the story that USP refused to deliver the engine to my house. It is just to much he told me to make this up. Why would UPS not deliver it me I have no idea since they delivered it twice and Tom gave them proof of last years delivery. The UPS hub (Rockdale, IL if anyone here works for UPS) told him if you send it a again we just send it back. So in the end he is going to send it USPS her said is cheaper and long as its under 70Lbs which I know it is I should have it next week. Tom's I guess big fault is the communication to the clients. I might give him a try again since he does offer good prices and quality product. Just the warranty takes long and shipping is a hit or miss. Give an update next week on how USPS delivers

I mean...seriously...I've never got a post office package that weighs that much...I know they have a 70 pound weight limit. I guess the engine is less than that? I have a lot of love for the USPS...my dad retired from there after 30 years of service, and have never had issue with them at all. It is just the weight limit I would be concerned with.

I know the engine is 60Lbs. That is what it was after I boxed it up to ship to him. When you strip everything off it funny how small and light the engine is. A 3cly would be to munch but a 2 cylinder should make the shipping. He said it is like 1/2 the price than UPS but he has to take to to USPS so if they take it it must be coming. My mail lady will crap her pants...

I know the engine is 60Lbs. That is what it was after I boxed it up to ship to him. When you strip everything off it funny how small and light the engine is. A 3cly would be to munch but a 2 cylinder should make the shipping. He said it is like 1/2 the price than UPS but he has to take to to USPS so if they take it it must be coming. My mail lady will crap her pants...

Ah, I see now. Cool that it is that light.

Truely amazing ..,...587,657,717 are about the easiest engine to rebuild .....it can be done correctly blind folded .......I am in Bristol Pa about 30-40 mins from Horsham I have NEVER heard of these people ....I build motors all over PA,NJ etc .....tell them to ship your engine to me .....I do not and will not offer any kind of warrenties but in 25 years and chit loads of all makes and model engines and never need to offer a warranty .....the real sad thing is there are soooo many of these jokers out there please let me know if I can help ....even if its just getting your motor back for you .....I hate scumbag shops ,good luck please let me know if I can help ....Brad Nickerson C/O Nickerson Performance

I did talk to Tom on Friday and I believe the story that USP refused to deliver the engine to my house. It is just to much he told me to make this up. Why would UPS not deliver it me I have no idea since they delivered it twice and Tom gave them proof of last years delivery. The UPS hub (Rockdale, IL if anyone here works for UPS) told him if you send it a again we just send it back. So in the end he is going to send it USPS her said is cheaper and long as its under 70Lbs which I know it is I should have it next week. Tom's I guess big fault is the communication to the clients. I might give him a try again since he does offer good prices and quality product. Just the warranty takes long and shipping is a hit or miss. Give an update next week on how USPS delivers

I'd ask for the tracking number to hear that directly from a supervisor at your hub. If the supervisor says that I would ask for his superior, I bet his answer changes REAL quick. I would not give up easily. You can call, all you need is a tracking #. I would want to know for future reference if they are going to be that picky.

I sent SES my 787 with bad crank seals on 7/31/12 and it arrived there 8/1/2012.

I took pictures of my newly rebuilt engine on 8/16/2012.

I would think that is pretty quick right?

He even replaced my rubbermaid box because I bought a cheap one and it got destroyed by UPS.

That motor is still running like a bat out of hell now.

I'm sorry you guys are having such trouble.

EDIT:

I just remembered something. I spoke to Tom @ SES and I do remember he said to make an appointment kind of. For example he wanted my motor to be @ his shop at a certain date, so he could begin working on it. As opposed to being lined up sitting waiting for others to be done first.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine came back to SES already so even if I see the tracking number it won't help me get my engine. I have had deliveries try to come to my house just like he said showed out for delivery with no update, but I had the tracking number to keep on checking and call right away. Another member told me about that USP service that will send you all tracking info when any package it sent to you. It does work since I ordered an item for Home Depot and the UPS think came a day before HD's E-mail. I was just shooting to get the engine bu April first so I would be ready for the season.

The ups number is still active and you can see the activity for months. Trust me, I've been using ups for years. I have to show proof of delivery months after I ship stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yup. I had a package from ups leave from Fl and was suppose to go to me in MI however when I started tracking it, it was in AR heading for California. I had to get ahold of the shipper, he then called and had it rerouted to me. I got it much later than I should have but the tracking showed everything, the rerouting request and all.

Without a tracking number and speaking directly to a ups supervisor I'm just not buying this ridiculous story.

96 XP800!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back