Thanks for the info

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMJ

I winterized my sister's '06 GTI SE for the first time this past weekend and it could not have been easier.
Thanks to all who replied to my noob questions.
She had always paid the dealer to do this and they charged $225-$250.
I had already put Stabil in tank and ran it around for about 10 min to get it in the fuel system.
I was able to pump out 3.5 qts of oil, re-filled with 3.5 qts, ran the engine and checked the oil level.
It was at the bottom of the operating range on the dip stick, I added another .5 qt of the Sea Doo XPS semi synth oil and rechecked (after running the engine of course) and it was right at the top of the operating range.
As for my concerns about removing the oil filter cover to change the oil filter, I just used an oil filter "pliers", they are kind of like channel locks.
I worked the cover side to side a few times and it came right off.
I did not damage the o-rings on the cap and reused them.
I did not have the right size allen tool with me to remove the plug to flush the exhaust with RV anti freeze though.
Some folks here have said that they have never done it and had no problems.
So I just pulled the Sea Doo up on the jet dock and let it run for about 30 seconds, reving the engine to around 4,000 rpm to blow out any water, all that came out was steam.
Also, checked the coolant level, it was right in the middle of the coolant jug and is good to -34*
I put a battery tender on the battey and covered it for the winter, it was kind of sad.
So thanks again for all the info.

Next weekend it's time to winterize the pontoon's F115 Yamaha, sadder still.
I HATE cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
you shouldn't fill the oil all the way to the top, it can cause smoking and poor performance. it should be filled half to 2/3 up on the dipstick.

as far as removing the oil filter cap, you don't need any tool 99% of the time. use 3 fingers and pull up on one side, then the other, and repeat this about 5 times and it will come off but at first it won't even look like it is moving. sometimes mechanix gloves help if the motor is hot like it should be. the old plastic caps can be a pain but I can normally get those off as well with a little patience and no tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back