Talk me down from buying another...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CReynoldsMIZ

Hey guys, a deal popped up on craigslist, and I have actually bought from this guy before. Not sure if you guys remember or not, but at the end of last summer I bought a 98 SPX from this guy that had been burnt up (wires at least) and the engine was full of water. I wasnt too pissed tho, bought it for $200, sold it for $300 as I didnt have time to work on it at that point.

Anyways he just listed his like 2000 or 2001 GTI for sale, and I have been texting him a little bit. The guy knows nothing about skis really, but he had it "diagnosed" last year, and he "thinks it needs a top end". He was asking $1500, I inquired about it just cause I know he negotiated with me last year, I asked him if he would take $500, he said the lowest he would take was $800. Last year i remembered it was sitting on a super heavy duty double trailer (If i remember correct), and I asked him this time if the ski came with the trailer. He said no, as he has other skis at the Lake (Lake of the Ozarks, all around missouri we just call it "The Lake" lol). I said okay nevermind Ill pass then. Then he says if you want it all, he would make a deal at $1000 for the ski and the double trailer. I told him a few days ago I would think about it, well today came and since he didnt list any pictures on the add, I asked him if he would send me some...here they are

696.jpg

IMG_0444_zps16892d21.jpg

Im not gunna lie here, I dont know if you guys know but I am probably about one of the youngest "regular" users here. I actually just graduated college, 23 years old, and just this week started my first "real job" in the mortgage and insurance industry. So basically my "storage" area is about my dads garage which is already full and if I bring home another ski he may kick me out lol. I wish I had tons of storage area like you guys do, I may have a couple of other places I can store it for a little while but unfortunately like some members here [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION], [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION], [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION], etc I can only keep about one to two skis at a time. I was already planning on getting rid of my GSX as soon as spring shows its face so I can get maximum or closer to the max value to it, but i keep finding all of these deals and you guys who just buy buy buy are making me feel lame cuz I only will make a deal if it is at rock bottom prices. Like my 97 XP deal I bought for 700, i bought it knowing I would get rid of my GSX, bought it with a super nice trailer which I sold for $400 and only have about $400 including maintainence parts including the ski itself to get it running. If I can get this ski running, I would hope to let my dad use it as he has a 93 Yammy Waverunner which is super reliable, but slow and old, and i think this would be a better fit.

Urgh, stop me before I get too far gone with the sickness....

LOL, I just called on another ski 15 minutes ago. I can't stop, CL is killing me right now. I think it works almost opposite up here. FLA guys get the steals all winter long, we seem to be getting them late winter real early spring, fire sale them before spring time. I have a CL tab open now. Your on your own man, it's everyone for themselves! Glad I grew up on 36 acres, my dad and I snuck so much stuff in, my dad got a 24' box truck in, it took my Mom for 6 months before she noticed it behind the barn.

i've never ridden one, but from the sounds of it, the gti doesn't seem to very very impressive with the smaller engine, if you have the space, do it, but if you're waiting for the right ski, i'm sure better ones will show up,

young with a "real job" should have some extra cash floating around. Rent a storage unit on the cheap. Haul skis there when you've filled up the parents place.

Yeah, at this point I'm trying to get these for those uber cheap like racerxxx gets, I think I will walk if I can't probably negotiate him down to at least $800. He said in his ad "I really need it gone" ....lol he shoulda never said that

That seems a little high for a GTi that needs a top end. Remember when you get into it you could be looking at a bottom end too. They are reliable but are not very fast with the 720 but your dad would like it much better than a 1993 Yamaha. A new engine from SBT will run you $745 so you need to decide how much you want to have into it and how much you could flip it for. Hard to tell if that is a good deal because different parts of the country bring different prices. Any non running ski is a crap shoot and the seller needs to be aware that you are taking a huge risk buying it and he is risking nothing. I got a 2004 GTI last year for $600 that needed a new engine here in California but they only go for about $1700 So I could probably break even.

Looks like my roadmaster double. The steel is not as thick as most trailers I've dealt with and it flexes an awful lot. I put a stand under the rear member and adjusted my gtx forward to get te tongue weight right and after it had a good 2-3 inches between the stand and the frame.

Yeah, at this point I'm trying to get these for those uber cheap like racerxxx gets, I think I will walk if I can't probably negotiate him down to at least $800. He said in his ad "I really need it gone" ....lol he shoulda never said that

Man when I was 23 that was 1997, I had my 96's!!!!!!! I spent 75% of my money on toys (skis and cars) the other 25% I wasted. Hey, I'm uber cheap cause I got two kids in my back pocket. I had $2 in my wallet today, HAD.

OK, back to craigslist, I'm missing out on potential deals. :D

Man when I was 23 that was 1997, I had my 96's!!!!!!! I spent 75% of my money on toys (skis and cars) the other 25% I wasted. Hey, I'm uber cheap cause I got two kids in my back pocket. I had $2 in my wallet today, HAD.

OK, back to craigslist, I'm missing out on potential deals. :D
Hah! I don't have kids yet, but my wife keeps me broke as fook. I had $180 in my wallet today and felt like a king. Just got it from a detail job I just finished. Went in the bank and is already spent on maintenance stuff for the wife's car. :(

Welp, sorry guys I ended up passing. It actually was a really clean ski and trailer combo, and for 1k (probably might been able to knock it down to 900), i probably wouldnt have ended up underwater even if it needed a full resto. I took the plugs out and it looked like there was a hole in the top of the pto piston. The guy had his dad in law "fix it" and he put in a ball pump and inline filter in the fuel system, and i think it leaned it out too much, but the piston still had plenty of oil on it.

I actually passed it onto my buddy from PWCToday, Live2RidePowersports", (for all of you guys who may hang out over there, esp on the Yammy or stand up section). He actually lives close to me and is the like the [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] but for Yammy's and Kawi parts.

The problem is that people like him and Minnetonka are more equipped for taking on every project ski that comes up than the average person, moral of the story is when I buy a house I am going to buy land with it lol

LOL Nice...I've visited Mr. Live2ride's place on a long trip for a bunch of skis. He's got a sweet building. LOL at the time he had skis strewn everywhere.

Haha, I figured that you have met him or at least talked to him before, I am slowly trying to convert him into a seadoo guy, but he aint having none of it it doesnt seem, although I did sell him that 98 SPX last year. I havent actually been to his shop before, but he only lives about 10-15 minutes for me and he usually delivers or I pick up from him somewhere around town. I wanna check out his shop, it seems like he has 10 of every part everytime I talk to him about something LOL

Lol I was just coming to say high b/c I was literally driving right past his place. Got the and ended up buying like $400 worth of parts. He also was nice enough to get an appointment at an old dealer that closed in town, but it was heavily picked over. I left there with a stack of tail light lens and a couple seats.

good luck in the insurance biz, i started out in the mtg/ins end of things in my early 20's as well.

are you actually in Kansas City ?
reason i'm asking is I have a client down here that says he owns an indoor Bull Riding/Bar thing in KC... he's been telling me for about 2 years to come up and see the show... have you heard of the place ? (sorry the name escapes me)

Yeah the business is actually more in the mortgage industry, but they do a little insurance as well.

Yup, i mean not in downtown kc but north of it about 10 minutes.

Is it called PBR? If so, yea I have heard of it and been to it, it is one of my stomping grounds and is an awesome place/ bar downtown

WOW, its kinda crazy how stuff works. I am glad I didnt buy that ski yesterday, because i may have finally found my 96 XP deal that I have been searching for months for! If I get it, say so long to my 97 XP and my 96 GSX!!! Please lord let me get this, I want to be one of the cool kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back