Tach Problem - 20 kOhm Resistor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

After a long cold winter and a bunch of other stuff, I am just now getting a chance to pull out the 1995 speedster project that I started last year.

My starboard tach was not working, and I never got to the bottom of it last year, but I did do some troubleshooting. I swapped the signal wires from the port gauge to starboard and the gauge worked, so no issue there.

I was suspicious of the stator and rectifier, so tonight, I did a stator test and it was reading good. I am ready to replace the rectifier for other reasons (battery not charging and visible damage inside the rectifier) but decided to try a few other test points around the tach.

I tested the resistor between the stator and the gauge and got an open circuit on starboard, and 20k Ohms on port, so I know that no signal is making it from the starboard stator to the tach.

So since the resistor and associated wiring does not seem to be commercially available as a replacement part, is this something that I can just fab up from things I can find on amazon or radio shack? Seems like it would be easy enough to replace.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

FYI. Found a 10 pack of 20kohm 1W flameproof resistors on Amazon for about 85 cents. Overkill is underrated. :cool: Replaced the resistor, and the tach is back to working.

there was nothing special about the OEM Part. it was a normal 1/4W resistor hiding inside of some heatshrink tubing.

Just figured I would close this one out in case anyone else runs into this later.

glad to see it's working. FYI... I never heard of the line resistor going bad on the tach wire. Good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back