Bogging starboard motor, also harder to start?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Rocket7919

I've just bought a 99 Speedster SK with the twin 717's. Took it for a quick run and everything was good. Of course, the fuel gauge didn't work and it was the F1 fuse, so I fixed that problem. While doing that, I also changed the plugs (gapped to .022) fuel filters (Purolator F20011) and oil filters. After all of that was done, I took the boat out for a test run. The port motor started fine, cranked for a bit, but fired up with the choke. However, the starboard motor took quite a while to start and then stalled a couple of times until it got warmed up. I idled it for about 10 minutes to allow it to warm up and then went out for the test. Port motor ran fine, powered up to 6000+ (and everywhere in between) RPM smoothly and held there, no issues. However the starboard motor ran fine until about 4000-4500RPM and then started to bog or miss, like it was starving for fuel. I ran the boat for about an hour at different RPM's, but it stayed the same. I looked at the fuel filters and they weren't full, they were maybe 3/4 full with air at the top. The oil filters were about the same, but it was definitely burning oil, the smoke was apparent.
So a couple of questions. Do the fuel and oil filters need to be air free? I have read that the fuel does not (although some forums say they do) and that the oil filters need to be air free. I've read that I need to bleed the oil line, but I have no idea where the bleed screw is. Also, I have no idea how to bleed the fuel filter if needed. Other than those two things, I'm at a loss.

Remove those Purolator fuel filters and put the OEM ones back in. They are likely the reason you are having issues.

There should be no air in the oil filter. Bleed screw is on the oil pump. Hard to get to.1690227250678.png

Thanks for the info!! I'll see if I can find OEM filters. I was having a helluva time and couldn't find anyone that would ship here (Northern BC). That's why I went with the Purolator filters. They were only a day away. Fram G2's were a week away.

You could just clean the old ones and reuse those. Its just a mesh screen. Not much to it.
Hah, wish I had known that before I threw them out. They looked like sealed units to me. Oh well, found a couple OEM's on FB marketplace for $30 delivered to my house.

Update: So I installed the two new OEM filters. I also installed new spark plugs, even though the old ones didn't look bad at all. I bled the oil lines as well. I've had it out a couple of times and no issues. Just a note: the OEM filters are 100% sealed units. Thanks for the info!

Ok, I seen that you were new to the forum, my 98Challenger with twin 717’s has the same filters as all the seadoo’s, the 1 I posted. They obviously put a different one on your model.

Back