1995 Speedster Port Engine not getting spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jrbred1

I am officially losing my mind trying to get the port engine on a 95 speedster to start. The engine cranks, but it does not get spark. I just replaced the coil pack, and all of the wires test good. Even more strange, when I move 1 spark plug wire and the 4 wire connector (attached in the picture, not sure what it is called) from the starboard engine, the port engine fires right up.
When I move both spark plug wires from the port engine to the starboard one, it will fire right up. The 4 wire connector attached in the picture seems to be the missing link. Both engines are able to fire when using the one from the starboard engine, and neither engine will fire using the one from the port engine.
However, I have tested all 4 wires for continuity and they all seem to be good.
None of the shops anywhere near me are willing to work on it, and I have no idea what to try next.
Since I know both sets of spark plug wires are good, it sure feels like something is telling that port engine not to spark.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• Seadoo EBSEM Plug.jpg
    Seadoo EBSEM Plug.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 3
You may a rev limiter problem in the computer. I have the same problem with a 1996 Speedster. I didn't look into it very deeply but I figure that's the problem. The wire coming off the Computer does not energize the coil.found a used computer at a good price. My next option would be OSD and purchase their set up for $500.

Thanks Gene. When you say computer I am assuming that is the same as the MPEM. Since my boat only has 1 MPEM (I have read a lot of them have 2), shouldn't this issue be occurring on both engines? Just double checking before I spend $500 on it.
Thank you again for your help,
Jake

I'm with you. I'd for sure verify before I spent $$. I only know the 1996 Speedster has ONE, Electronic Module (MPEM). That module contorls everything which is why I prefer to have the genuine Seadoo Part. On my son's 1997 speedster, the ski raised the RPM on the engine when you are maneuvering at low speed so the ski would turn better. The Module also controls engines from starting with the Forward/Reverse lever "isn't in neutral" I wish there was someong that would repair these things. People now want NEW prices for 25 year old computers. Disgusting.

To me though... nothin wrong with replacing the computer with aftermarket expecially when you are saving $700+.

To answer your question what I found in my troubleshooting was that each engine has it's own system inside the MPEM. I'm pretty sure it is the rev limiter that is "At Fault" in these skis, at least on mine. The port engine is DEAD when it comes to spark and when I swap the leads to the starboard engine (which starts and runs) I get no spark there.

Back