1998 Sportster 1800 port engine electrical start issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrio

Starboard engine starts perfectly. Key on post, beep-beep, hit button away you go. Port button nothing. Key off post, starboard start button activates gauges for 30 seconds. Port button nothing. I traced wires. Unplug switch, test switch continuity - good. Checked continuity between YE/RD wire from plug to mpem plug 3 wire 8 to ground and that was also good. Plug it in to the mpem, add the key, beep-beep, hit the port start button and nothing. Unplug the key, hit the button again nothing. Hit the starboard button gauges sweep and sit loaded for about 30 seconds. It has been intermittently working off and on since last season and now nothing at all. I have also recently rebuilt the port side engine and while I have been able to start it since then, it now does nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Check battery voltage for reference. Disconnect both START/STOP buttons under the dash. Measure DC voltage between the wires: Yellow/Red to black and yellow/red/green to black. My guess is that your right side(starboard) start stop switch has a reading of a little below battery voltage and is steady. Your left(port) engine start/stop switch is erratic or completely void of any voltage. If this is the case, PM me. I have a suggestion for you to try, but I believe an internal component has failed in your MPEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back