Still having launch issues from a double trailer.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bell99man

Has anyone had to tweak a trailer just to launch?

I have messed with this for a couple of years but I still haven't figured out how to improve the situation. I have 2 97 GTIs on a Dixie double trailer. The trailer is a long one with plenty of room in front of the winches for a big box. When dropping the skis in the lake at my brother's, the truck (03 Tundra Access Cab 2-wheel drive on standard tires, rims and suspension, zero drop hitch) has to have water up to the rear drums before I can get them off the bunks. I think it might be because of a very shallow private ramp where even the jack gets wet.

At the usual launch by the house, things are only a little better as the jack doesn't get wet and I can stop before the drums get wet but it's real close and it is still a struggle to get them floating.

At the beach, the state park ramp is as bad as the Tuscaloosa ramp.

I have to fix this before I launch there again. I have all summer but I would love to gain a few inches in the front to lower the jet skis further into the water and keep the jack dry. It currently is salt corroded beyond repair. The trailer has fat wide tires, 20.5x10x8 or 205 65 10, so they are pretty low profile. The seadoos sit a little high and I think that is where I will start. The pumps sit about 5 inches above the last crossbeam. The fenders are only 1.5 inches from the hull as are the front crossbeams. I thought I might raise the front a inch or two and lower the back 2 or 3 and see how that works. Will this make enough of a difference?

As much as I hate to say it, it's probably just the ramps you use. With my Speedster behind my 97 Yukon is up to the hitch at one ramp, yes the hitch receiver is under water. And yes, my jack is completely submerged. I go thru a ton of WD-40, cause that is salt water at that ramp. When I go to 2 other ramps I use, I'm high and dry, never even touches the wheel on my jack. Same with my double ski trailer. The shallower the ramp the deeper you need to go.

You have.

54.jpg

Get lower ties for your trailer. They're usually cheaper than the regular ones but wear out quicker. Worse for your bearings too. But they will drop the skis in earlier

Get lower ties for your trailer. They're usually cheaper than the regular ones but wear out quicker. Worse for your bearings too. But they will drop the skis in earlier

He has 10 inch on there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the teflon slide on my bunks and love them. Several reasons why. My bunk carpet never goes bad, much easier to launch and retrieve. One word of caution. They WILL slide up the trial bunks easier, so,,, do NOT use as much throttle to get up the rails. You WILL run into the winch stop and likely bend the winch post. The huge advantage of the slides is, you can have (and should have) the trailer at a shallower depth. This aides in retrieval as the trailer dow not need to be so far down the ramp.

They don't add any more wear than the carpet? What about towing? Do the skis shift or slide when braking for that one driver that has to wedge between you and the approaching red light?

not sure if its an option on your tailers but I know my dad used to flip the axle from one side of the springs to another and that would give you a raise or lower of an in or 2

That's a great tip! Also, you were on the right track lowering the bunks. You want them as low as possible without the chance of the hull hitting a cross member.

Keep in mind, that the hull running between the bunks before catching is going to be closer than when it is in it's final resting place.

Good luck. Post photos too, maybe we are missing something.

Teflon sides cause no harm at all. I have used them for many years.

Secure your boat as it should be and it will not slide around. Front winch, front security cable/chain, rear ratchet tie downs. These should all be used no matter what. This is what keeps you safe in the event of an accident or quick stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I will get to mess with the trailer Sunday. The axle can't be moved because of the fenders but yeah I looked at that first.
My bunks are already as low as the hardware will allow in the rear so I am left with moving them wider apart to allow the seadoos to ride lower between them. The front of the hull may hit the frame though so this is a little experimental. Teflon is looking real good at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back