steady miss between 3500 and 4000 rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebber4

Just got to take my 1997 gtx out for the first time in 5 weeks. My last post helped out so much. Ski is running soooo much better now and so much faster with a clean fuel system and new fuel lines(thanks to Dr Honda and seadoolou). Before top speed was 46 and took a while to get there, now BAM hit the gas, gone hits 45 in no time and topped out today at 54 and it was rough out. And it uses less fuel now. My problem is below 4000 rpm it has a miss especially btween 3500 and 4000. Throttle response is great below that and above that and if i just go WOT it has no miss at all. Any ideas on where to start looking. Oh and there is no pee stream at idle and the stream seems weak now compared to before. The temps on the guages were fine tho. I checked them every few minutes while riding.

Is it a stutter, or does the engine try to die at 3500 - 4000 RPM's?

If it's just a stutter... that indicates a slightly rich mix. If it's trying to die... then that could be a lean mix.

In the case of the stutter... you could try to loosen the RAVES about half a turn. BUT... what is your compression? (Low compression will do that too)

In the case of a a lean mix... I would drop the pop-off a few PSI since that is right at the transition point.

Last question... if it's not dying... and you hold the throttle at 3500 for a minute or so... do you get a quick response to full throttle?

It more like a stutter. It never tries to die. I held it at about 4000 for a minute or so doing circles in the water and then hit it and took off just fine. The compression was around 160 on both. I pulled the plugs and 1 plug had a good tan brown and one looked light tan with a hint of white.

I probably put it wrong in the first post. Throttle response is great no matter what the rpms are. even when its missing it stops when i accelerate And thru the rpm range it never misses. just if I hold it between 3500 and 4000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the plugs for mid throttle is dam near impossible... UNLESS... you hold it there for a few minutes, and then kill the ignition without moving the throttle. (and you need to start with new plugs)

OK... it is just a little rich mid throttle. Personally... I would just leave it be, unless there is a real reason to chase it. (Sounds like it runs fine everywhere else)

The only thing I may try, is to close the low needle(s) about a 1/16 turn. It may smooth it out a little. (You may have to readjust the idle after) OR... open the RAVE adjusters about 1/4 turn. (DON'T DO BOTH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back