1996 GTX fuel issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

GTXReserve

Our 1996 GTX was in storage for 13 years. I put new fuel and spark plugs in it and it would start and run decent. The main issue was that if running at 6000 rpms it would drop down to 4000-5000 rpms for a while then you could go back up. If you stayed below 5000 rpms there would be no issue. When we take the boats out we run for awhile then shut down and float for awhile. The last time we were out I noticed that it would also run better if the fuel valve was set to Reserve but I would have trouble getting it to start after floating. After reading some posts on this forum I thought I should replace the fuel selector valve. I moved each fuel line one at a time with myself and my wife verifying that each line was being moved to to the correct position on the new valve. Valve and knob is installed correctly. With the new valve I had trouble getting it started but it finally ran while on the trailer. I immediately took it to the lake and it will not start. It is like it is not getting any fuel. I have tried starting in the On and the Reserve position. Any suggestions? The old valve has greenish-blue gunk on and inside each pipe.

Our 1996 GTX was in storage for 13 years. I put new fuel and spark plugs in it and it would start and run decent. The main issue was that if running at 6000 rpms it would drop down to 4000-5000 rpms for a while then you could go back up. If you stayed below 5000 rpms there would be no issue. When we take the boats out we run for awhile then shut down and float for awhile. The last time we were out I noticed that it would also run better if the fuel valve was set to Reserve but I would have trouble getting it to start after floating. After reading some posts on this forum I thought I should replace the fuel selector valve. I moved each fuel line one at a time with myself and my wife verifying that each line was being moved to to the correct position on the new valve. Valve and knob is installed correctly. With the new valve I had trouble getting it started but it finally ran while on the trailer. I immediately took it to the lake and it will not start. It is like it is not getting any fuel. I have tried starting in the On and the Reserve position. Any suggestions? The old valve has greenish-blue gunk on and inside each pipe.
Do you still have the grey Tempo fuel lines?

The lines are grey.
You will at a minimum have to change out those fuel lines to black automotive 1/4” ID lines, I prefer continental fuel lines available on Amazon
Amazon.ca : Continental
You will also need to at a minimum take the micro filter out of the carburetors and clean it, those filters are probably the reason your not getting any fuel. If you continue to drive it, in the condition it’s in engine damage will occur. You may end up needing to rebuild the carburetors, if you do buy the back to OEM kits that include the new needle and seat from OSD marine.

Did you remove the rave valves and clean them up? Also when you reinstall them make sure they are FREE (move up and down easily and not hanging up on the gasket."

Back