starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyboy76

Alright...for some stupid reason, i decided to fog my motors...CA..:confused:, ANYWAY, fogged the starboard, went to start port, and starter spins, but sounds like it aint kick'n it out. So, pulled starter, TORE IT DOWN, completely, cleaned all up..etc, but thing that caught my eye was the gear and the "housing" its pressed into. Had it off the armature shaft, and seems like the "gear" can float/twist, either way. So after put'n all together, hooked cables up to it, to verify it "kicking" out, which it did, but contiplating on re-installing it, if the housing that holds the gear, is no good?

Part in ?, is what the pencil is pointing to. I'd think, that part would make the gear, not wanna "spin" in either direction.

Attachments

• 103_0855.jpg
    103_0855.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the housing has nothing to do with that, unless its warped which I doubt, its a pretty heavy duty housing. I thinkg the brushes might be worn down a bit and not giving it enough juice to engage the gear.

I think you aren't getting a response because your post is a little confusing.

This is what I get...

The starter wasn't engaging. You took it apart, and now it kicks out, but something is wrong with the housing.

There isn't a clear question on what you think is broke, and why you think that.

Also... the picture sucks. all I can tell is that you are pointing to the gear of a starter that looks a little beat up. Just an FYI... on your camera... you should have a button that looks like a flower. That allows you to take close up pictures.

Please post a new picture so we can actually see if there is damage... and post a question that only has what you think may be wrong.

I'm not trying to be a jack-off... I'm just trying to understand what you are asking.:cheers:

gear clutch/bendix

Honda, you probably never taken one apart, thats why you didnt understand my ? or picture, to what I was pointing at....its cool.

The gear kicks out, just wasnt turning flywheel. Come to find out, the "unit" i was pointing at, theres a "lock-out" inside it, to allow the gear to spin one way, and not the other, my gear was spin'n in both directions....new clutch/bendix assy on way.

First... I'm glad you figured out the issue. :cheers:

Second... you shouldn't assume things about people... it tends to make them upset. (Have you looked at my signature line?)

My comments were trying to dig deeper into your problem to help you out. The reason I asked for more info is because me... a person who has never taken a starter apart... would never call the Bendix drive a "housing." So... Since your picture was blury... I couldn't see if the actual "housing" was broken. I could tell the pointer was pointing at the junction of the Bendix and the pinion... but that's not what you asked about.

I had a hunch that since your starter was spinning, and the pinion was coming out... that your Bendix was bad... but, I wasn't going to tell you that until I learned more about the problem.

BTW... it's not a "Lock out"... it's a one-way bearing. (just so you know)

But, no harm... no fowl. :hurray:

Hi, Tony do you know where I might find the 90 degree fuel fitting for a mikuni carb? the fitting is the press on type, square body and it connects a small hose to the accelerator pump which by the way has the same type fitting.:cheers:

Hi, Tony do you know where I might find the 90 degree fuel fitting for a mikuni carb? the fitting is the press on type, square body and it connects a small hose to the accelerator pump which by the way has the same type fitting.:cheers:

esg, If you have a question for Tony, send him a "pm". If you have a response to the problem in this thread, this is where to answer it.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back