starter replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxl kid

hey guys it seems as if i have to replace my starter, i had a feeling it was on its way, i hear the starter motor spin freely but not engage to the flywheel or bendix. i jumped the 2 post on the starter relay and it does the same thing.

a few questions. from what i have read you have to remove the carbs then the pipe to acess the starter, will i need new carb gaskets and and exhaust gaskets? i would like to have everything here before i start the job, i plan on replacing my fuel lines in the process.

where can i get a new starter and gaskets or any parts necessary to get the job done.

thank you in advance

ski is a 99gsx limited 951

Not sure if you need new gaskets (not very familar with 951), I would think if you don't mangle the gasket on removal you should be okay. I would look up a starter/alternator shop local to you and have them rebuild it. Stay away from the aftermarket starters on ebay. I've heard they don't last, and they are not fun to change.

where can i get a new starter and gaskets or any parts necessary to get the job done.

thank you in advance

ski is a 99gsx limited 951

you can pick up a sheet of gasket material at the auto parts and make your own gaskets if needed.

My ski had the same issue. Starter spinning and not engaging. Turned out to be the stater bendix which was all rusty and wasn't "flinging" out to engage the flywheel. Was a pig of a job on my ski! All fix now tho. Bought an aftermarket one off the internet for half the price as a genuine one! I would check out your bendix.
Goodluck

thanks for the help guys, im in the process of removing the bendix i got as far as dropping the carbs, removing exhaust pipe and front cover removed, do i have to remove that big nut in the center and the 6 around to get the flywheel off? if so any tricks on keeping the engine from spinning while loosening the big nut? only thing holding me back from getting that bendix out is the flywheel. This is all new to me so please bare with me. Thanks again

Okay, what i did to stop the engine rotating was to feed rope down one spark plug hole. As much as you can fit in there. Then slowly bring that cylinder up to TDC by hand. The rope will stop the piston.
As for that big nut on the flywell, mine was tight! I had to use an impact wrench on it. Soak it in WD40 and try by spanner first.
You do not have to remove the other bolts from the flyweel. Those bolts hold the magneto magnet to the flywheel.
After the big nut is undone, you will have to pull the flywheel off the shaft using a puller. The flywheel is on a taped crankshaft .
I used the proper Seadoo puller. Cost me a bit but was worth it. You can use a commercial puller I think by connecting it to the small bolts that hold the mag magnet to the flywheel.
Goodluck. Hope this helps.

Whoa!!! Maybe I missed something here, but why are you removing the flywheel to fix the bendix? The bendix is part of the starter, all you need to do is remove the starter. You should be able to remove the starter by itself. Get yourself a couple of small mirrors so you can see the bolts and take the starter off, it's not easy but it can be done.

Lou

Whoa!!! Maybe I missed something here, but why are you removing the flywheel to fix the bendix? The bendix is part of the starter, all you need to do is remove the starter. You should be able to remove the starter by itself. Get yourself a couple of small mirrors so you can see the bolts and take the starter off, it's not easy but it can be done.

Lou

The reduction gear (bendix) is separate and not part of the starter on his engine. The flywheel must be removed to gain access. The starter does not have to be removed.

Chester

Oh, O.K., I didn't realize 951's were different. Thanks, Chester.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this old post. I have a 2000 XP with the 951 with starter problems. The solenoid is working fine but my starter is not spinning. If I need to replace the starter motor, but not the bendix, do I have to remove the cover and flywheel? Based upon what I read above, I am unclear. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back