Starter Clutch Gear Replacement - 98 GTX 951

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithjohnson49

Hey guys,
The ring gear on the clutch assy that engages the starter has teeth missing on my 98 GTX. I've got the thing pretty much torn down to the mag cover (carbs, exhaust, and starter removed). I can get to the mag cover pretty easy but before I take it off.......do you have to remove the flywheel on the 951 to replace the starter "clutch" or can you replace it with the flywheel still installed?

I'm already a lot farther into this than I wanted to be, having to remove the flywheel might just be what trips me to just give the thing away. I bought it cheap and have gotten two good summers out of it, and I'm getting way too old to bend over and fix these things.

Any help is appreciated.

Keith

Anyone attempted to remove the flywheel and replace the bendix with the engine installed?

I removed the motor to replace the bendix in my 1998 GSXL, but I imagine that if you disconnect everything from the oil and fuel tank, you might be able to shove those forward enough to work on it. You'd probably be working blind though if the GTX hull is anything close to the GSXL.

-Matt

Yes, you can change the bendix with the motor in. Not hard but you will need the special puller to get the flywheel off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back