SOLVED - CANDoo reading RPM double of what it actually is?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ODavis

I have a 2005 Challenger 180 with a 215 SCIC 1503 engine.

I have verified with the CANDoo programmer that the readings of the RPM are in fact correct. I am seeing almost double or greater RPM's coming from the ECU can bus. But the analog gauge is reading correctly at ~950 at idle. I haven't tried while operating the boat yet, but that is next I guess.

The real issue is I can't get above ~3000 RPM and was looking into this with CANDoo to see if anything would come up, nothing did except the monitor showing more then double of the actual RPM value.

Anyone have any idea's on this?
Thanks.

Ok, found out more about this engine. But I can not figure out how many pulses per revolution there are.

Does anyone know the answer to this? 6 or 12 or ?

Your engine should idle at 1800 rpm plus/minus 100. This is ECU controlled and not adjustable. There is no way it would ever idle at 950 rpm which is half the actual signal.

It sounds like it is in limp mode if it won't get above 3000 rpms. What codes do you have?

Your engine should idle at 1800 rpm plus/minus 100. This is ECU controlled and not adjustable. There is no way it would ever idle at 950 rpm which is half the actual signal.

It sounds like it is in limp mode if it won't get above 3000 rpms. What codes do you have?

Thanks, I just read the manual and found the 1850 +/- 50 RPM is the correct idle speed, so that means the ECU is reporting correctly. I am using a 3rd part tach, a Veratron VMH-35, that is both NMEA 2000 and analog, which ever it is set for. Currently it is set for analog with 12 pulses, sounds like that is wrong.

Do you know how many pulses the tach should be set for?

To answer your question on codes from CANDoo, none that have anything to do with any of this. Just a CANDoo related com error, P0600 I believe, but that is normal for this engine as it communicates @250KPS and not 500. CANDoo explains this with the error.

If I have the pulses set wrong for the tach, then the 3K RPM is also wrong which leads me to another problem, the boat can only achieve ~25MPH, almost half of what it should be able too.

Back