Sea Doo SPark unstable rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ajvigants

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a pair of 2104 90 Hp 2Up w/ IBR Sparks. Removed from the water during Hurricane Harvey and never made it back into the water last summer. Before putting them in this year, I changed the oil, filter and plugs and put new batteries in each. One ran/runs fine. The other is very hard to start (cold) and showed a check engine code. If I felt like my dealer would provide good value, I would have brought it there . . . but I don't. Frankly, if they wanted to actually earn my business, they would read codes for free, but since I have to agree to a minimum of a $500 repair bill before they will waive the code reading fee, they more or less ensured that they will never see another dime from me. Rant over.

I bought a CanDoo Pro Home and read the codes this past weekend. There were three:

Lost GPS signal
Crankshaft position sensor
Unstable RPM

I cleared those and then started the ski. Check engine sounded again, and then I got ONLY the Unstable RPM code. It took a lot of cranking to get it to start cold (5 or 6 attempts). I went into monitor mode and sure enough, RPM = 0 most of the time with the occasional jump to a non zero number then immediately back down.

I am guessing that the hard start is the ECU not dealing well with the lack of an RPM signal. Once it is warm it starts easier but not perfectly.

Since the crankshaft position sensor code did not come back, I wonder if that was a fluke? If the crankshaft sensor is still bad why am I not getting another code for it? Is there a certain minimum time that the ski must run for all codes to register? Does one trump the other?

Where does the rpm signal come from? I mean, what should I be looking at or replacing to address that? Is this usually a wiring issue or ???

Advice requested.

Thanks,

John

Back