So I crashed with my two kids on the back this weekend.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xdaily

...not that we didnt have a fantastic weekend otherwise but this was scary.

Sunday we wanted to see if there was a shortcut through the grassy marsh area
(to avoid a huge no wake zone) so I asked a guy on a waverunner to show us. He just
said "follow me". So we were going pretty fast zig zagging through the tight waterway
it was REALLY fun but I was being cautious because of the kids on the back and so I
fell behind a little. Next thing I know I come up to a turn that is so sharp it looks like a
total dead end. I let off the throttle and realize I was going to make "that" SeaDoo
mistake and go straight into a mud bank with the handlebars turned all the way doing
nothing. So at the last moment I gunned it in an attempt to spin the back around....to
late. The first impact careened me towards the right direction then still with no control
the second impact actually rode up the mud bank and sort of rail slidding like on
a skateboard for a second and then slamming back down into the water essentially
landing the rail slide. I turned around to ask the kids if they were OK and my daughter
(10) says, "Sam fell off (8).
Essentially he was fine, he just bit his lip somehow and was more mad at me because it
looked like I was leaving him there he said. Plus the bottom wasnt real comfortable on
the feet (Squish).

So dude comes back after he realized something was wrong and says, "Yea this is a bad
turn right here".....Thanks for the warning.

My son was pretty shaken up but after a big hug he was OK and the 3 of us joked
about it on the way home in the car.

My dad did the same "no throttle" mistake on my Yami Wave Raider all the way into the boat house cribbing... I managed to get it on film too boot!

Glad everyone was ok and hopefully the ski isn't hurt either.

It seemed like it was fine. The mud bank was home to about a thousand fiddler crabs so it was pretty soft. WAS HOME is the main words there. Its a little rearranged now after I took my 800 pound toy sledding on it.
These damn things need a rudder. Guess that presents its own problems though.

Yeah, I've gotten into the habit now that when I make quick directional changes to squeeze the throttle a little bit, same thing in my boat.

You should have seen this dude going through those grasslands at lightning speed. He said hes done it hundreds of time though compaired to my 3 weeks since Ive ever owned a SeaDoo.

there are clear waterways carved though there like trails in the forest. Not sure how those got there.

WHATS A AAALLLLEEEEYYYYYGGGAAATTTOOORRRR i never heard of dat where i from!!!!! WES DOSENT HAVE DEM IN MICHEGAIN hahaha jk lol

These damn things need a rudder. Guess that presents its own problems though.

On non-SeaDoo jetboats (ones with real jetboat engines and nice big jetpumps) you often have the option of putting a rudder on the nozzle... my Berkely pump has that option, but I much prefer it without a rudder! Once you get more operating time on a jet propelled watercraft you will learn how to make it do things you never thought possible, and that they're actually far MORE manauverable without a rudder... I can parrallel park my jetboat for instance. Try getting a boat with a rudder to sidle sideways up to a crowded dock!

You simply have to learn that you are steering soley by thrust with a jetpump and no rudder... you cannot just release the throttle and turn the wheel and expect it to respond. Never EVER run-up on a dock or anything with a jet boat (or any watercraft for that matter whether it has a rudder or not... boats don't brake that well!). You really should have slowed down going thru that waterway since you were not familiar with it and you haven't many hours operating a jet propelled watercraft as I understand! This was operator error, not the fault of the boat or the other guy (who probably didn't know you weren't as experienced as he).

You are lucky lucky lucky that nobody got seriously hurt or killed and your boat is apparently no worse for wear!!!! Regards and best wishes and be careful!

- Michael

yep. Lesson learned the hard way. I really take it easy now with passengers and Im getting some good seat time in learning this machine now.

You'll much prefer jet propelled watercraft as you get more time operating them. They can do the neatest things.... I've slid my Sidewinder backwards 75 feet or so before (did a complete 180 turn while running 40 mph... just let off the throttle, turn the steering all the way, then hit the throttle hard to spin it around, then off the throttle again to let it slide backwards... was very cool! :cool:).

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back