Ski won't rev!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RcagGTX

Took my 98gtx ltd out today. Ran great for about 45min, then wouldn't get up into higher RPMs (maxed at about 4500) w/ throttle wide open. Is this a fuel issue? The battery low signal was there but it started, just wouldn't get up! I put in a fuel treatment for the ethanol, any chance this'll burn out!?

Btw...is the E-temp mode Engine temp? If so, it was indicating 85-95 degrees! Do they run that cold?

E temp is environment temp

I don't believe they have an engine temp gauge on any Seadoo. The temperature varies alot in these machines during riding

Do you still have grey fuel lines? When's the last time the carbs were cleaned or rebuilt?

Also check your rectifier, unplug the red wire and go for a ride, see if it clears up. Just remember your battery will not charge with the wire unplugged

Last edited by a moderator:
Raves could also cause you not not reach max rpm. I've never seen them cause that much of an rpm loss, but I also keep mine pretty clean

Update: I checked the oil res and it was near empty. I also use gas mixed at 50:1 but in think it ran low and limited RPMs. Is this possible?

With Rave valves, what do you use to clean them? Do they need to be opened up, or removed totally from the ski for cleaning?

Also, where is the rectifier at? (Pics please)

In case you can't tell, this is my first ski but I'm mechanical so I can follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a per mix bc I've always heard its the safe way in case oil injection fails, but the oil res still fills some portion of the the motor doesn't it? I mean, it needs to have oil in it right?

When I say "how do you clean", I mean is it a replacement of parts or is a cleaner/lune used in the process.

As far as lines, they appear to be the grey ones mentioned and I don't know when the carbs were cleaned as I got it from a dealer. It has 220 hours on it and was part of a shuttle craft purchase.

Ok, first check the compression of the motor. Should be 130-135. Replace grey fuel lines ASAP. Clean rebuild carbs, and clean fuel selector

1. Stop using premix. - fill your oil tank with the correct oil.
2. 220 hours is close to end of life of a 951.

:agree: A properly maintained oil injection pump system will hardly ever fail. Even if something happens it usually goes to full oil to protect the motor.
You are using a lot more oil this way than with the injection system.

replace the fuel lines and clean the carbs and add an inline oil and fuel filters.

Changed plugs, and in line fuel filter. Problem seemed electrical (it faded in and out) as i rode today. Throttle is just non-responsive. Don't know my next step. Is there a throttle position sensor or something that would cause this?

Do as stated above, compression check the engine 1st, THEN move on if compression is good to checking the internal filters of the carbs, change out grey fuel lines, etc, doing all of this is no good if the compression is low, as stated 220 hours is a lot for a 951 and is likely due for a rebuild

there is a TPS, but it's not a real sensor, and I'm not sure it's on the 98. I think it was 99+. it only reports Either on/off for when you hit 80%+ throttle.

step 1 is a compression test. - if you don't have compression - you don't have an engine. You have a paperweight. Nothing will fix this but a rebuild. and in the case of your 15 year old engine... a COMPLETE rebuild.

Step 2 (as listed above) is to remove the grey fuel lines and install new ones. the grey ones clog up and you will never get enough fuel through them to run the engine.

step 3 if you are having low voltage alerts, check the voltage across the battery while running on land around 4500 RPM. and report the number back here.

ill never understand why when you give someone a detailed list of instructions to do they dont do it and still come back asking what they should do...do the things they suggested in order so we can go through a process of elimination...

I'm SO ready to start a troubleshooting 951 website.

1. DO WHAT I SAY
2. DON'T TELL ME it 'revs just fine out of water'
etc etc

I'm SO ready to start a troubleshooting 951 website.

1. DO WHAT I SAY
2. DON'T TELL ME it 'revs just fine out of water'
etc etc

We see this stupid shit with every engine though...all they have to do is follow the STEP BY STEP instructions we give them and we get done alot faster..lol...no offence to anyone..its kinda funny actually..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back