03 RXDI won't rev past 5200rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy

Hey everyone, this will be my first post and it's going to be a bit long winded. I bought an 03 RXDI this year and it has been a nightmare from day one. We were able to lake test it and it ran fine. Got it home and had a nice day in March so we went out to test it and the GTX Limited I bought the wife. We rode for about an hour when i heard an odd noise from mine. Before i could shut her off it seized the motor. The motor was a reman motor. But whoever put the thing in ran some oil lines wrong and they melted allowing oil to leak pretty bad. Keep in mind, it ran great up to the point of seizing.

I ended up putting another reman motor in it. After getting it all installed I had a rough idle issue. I ended up pulling the fuel pump and cleaning it out with toluene and gas in 50/50 mix. I cleaned out the fuel filter in the same way. I didn't want to just start throwing parts at it. I replaced the plugs for good measure tho. After all this, the wife and I decided screw it, lets put it on the water and see what happens. Once on the water, it ran like crap, as expected, and died constantly. It was my hope, that there was still some old fuel that needed to be ran out. After a while of slowly easing into the throttle, it cleared up. Started idling great, temps were great, it was running smooth. I never went to WOT but I was varying rpms and throttle between idle and about 50% throttle. After about 2 hours of that and constantly taking it back to dock and check for oil leaks, I decided to bump it up to about 70% throttle. Thats when i noticed that the rpms weren't changing. From about 50% throttle and up it stays at 5200ish rpms. I even tried going to WOT just to test it but its stays at 5200.

When we got it home, i hooked up my multimeter and checked voltage at the battery. At idle it is getting around 13.8v. I wanted to test the rectifier and see what it was doing but i'm not sure how to proceed on that point. DO i hook it up to water and rev it while holding the multimeter to the battery or do i do it dry. I will also note, all the oil lines have been replaced. Spark plugs are new. 91 octane non ethanol gas is in the tank. I know i need to verify fuel psi, i just havent found a gauge that will do it for a decent price yet. Any help with this would be great. I know these skis can be a pain in the ass, i've been reading a lot of posts on here about them, but i like the thing. My next step is getting the fuel injectors cleaned but that just doesnt seem right to me. If it had a fuel injector issue, wouldn't it have an issue all thru the rpm range? From idle up to 5200 rpm it runs smooth.

First thing I would do is verify the fuel pump is good. Get a gauge setup and make sure your getting the 107psi and go from there. Are you getting a maint light flashing on the info center? Another thing to check is, when you shut the ski off can you hear the rave valves cycle?

Last edited:
I don't get a maint light all the time, just every now and then and it goes away pretty quick. The rave valves are clicking twice after shut down.

I don't get a maint light all the time, just every now and then and it goes away pretty quick. The rave valves are clicking twice after shut down.
I would find a way to verify fuel pressure. Another thing your gonna find out is that having a candoo pro is almost a must when having a DI. Didn’t take me long to realize that lol.

Checking and verifying fuel pressure is my next step. Where can i get a candoo pro? does riva carry them?

Sounds like an after market rectifier. A lot of times they test good at idle but fade out at higher rpms. A tell tale sign is the maintenance light going in and out under load.
If you get a candoo pro it will show all the past codes.

Quick question, could an exhaust leak at the clamp on the power chamber cause my issue? I noticed I had excessive water in the hull after the last trip out. I was out in the garage glaring at the damn thing and noticed a lot of soot had built up on the lower part of the exhaust. I know I cleaned it before I installed it. The clamp was pretty loose too.

An exhaust leak will starve the engine of oxygen so it will loose power and choke out.

So, its possible that all the issues I've been chasing for the past two weeks are my own dumbass fault for not tightening the clamp properly? Awesome...

Possible. While you are repairing that take a look at the water control valve and make sure it is not leaking

Ok. Clamp is fixed and nice and tight now. The threads for the bolt on it were all screwed up so I had to make my own alternative. I already pulled the wcv off and checked it. No holes in the diaphragm and it looked good. My spark plugs had some moisture on them, looked like they had been in a steam bath. I'm going to assume that's caused by the exhaust leak.

Hold on! If your plugs are wet then you have a water leak, possibly a blown head gasket.
An exhaust leak will not cause water on the plugs.

Now, the 951 engine will get some condensation on the plugs after running. Nobody has gotten a definitive answer as to why only this engine does this but it is normal and is why you really need to fog a 951 after every ride.

Hmm... They aren't soaked or anything. These are my first skis so I'm not up to snuff on all the quirks. I would guess it is just condensation like you said. You are supposed to fog after every ride? I thought fogging was a part of the winterization process. Ok, I'll look up how to fog my engine

It is on every other ski but the 951 gets the condensation and can cause surface rust on the cylinder walls and that will shorten the engine life.

It is a very, very good practice to fog a 951 after every ride. It takes me less than 10 minutes now in the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back