Since our lake is empty, I decided to buy a metal detector...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
i camped with some friends last weekend at lake travis, and someone found a couple credit cards that had been lost. they got to looking at them closer and they expired in 1981! one was a shell gas card, which only had 9 digits back then, the other was an amex.

Did you try to buy gas with them before you noticed they were expired? :reddevil:

How low is Travis nowadays?

today its at 640ft, which is about 40 ft below full, and 31ft below March average. they got a good bit of rain early last week, and the lake came up from 631 to where it is now. there was a ton of dead wood and boat dock floatation in the water that had washed in, you had to keep a sharp eye out when running so as not to hit the larger stuff lurking around. the water was also pretty muddy since there is a lot more of the silty bottom above water right now. it wasn't as muddy as lake houston was a few weeks ago when i was there, though, that was nasty.

Wow! 40 feet low would make lake houston DRY!

I just assumed that since we were back up to full, the rest of the lakes would be close behind...

keep in mind that those central texas LCRA lakes are limestone bottom, and drain a really big area of central texas. they didn't get quite as much rain as we did last mon-tues and the lake came up nearly 10 feet. if you look at this lake travis long-term projection chart, 640ft wasn't projected even under "wet" conditions until mid-may, so travis is way ahead of where people expected it to be at the end of March. also, the march average apparently is about 10ft below full, so its only 30 or so feet below the march average level. according to my friend in Austin, they got some good rain yesterday too, so the levels should be continuing to rise. the la nina is supposed to be ending early april which is supposed to mean more rain for central and east texas as well, and central tx typically has a wet spring.

Finally got a chance to try out the metal detector I got from Harbor freight at the beach today. Found a bolt, 2 pennies and a quarter :thumbsup:

At first, I was just adding my found coins to my coin bank (extra change from my pocket goes into a jar every day). But after 3 or 4 trips, I started a special jar that has all my treasures in it. Probably has 8-10 bucks in coins, and all the other non-trash items i have found.

All it takes is one gold ring, even a small one, and you can pay that thing off quick!

Let me know how much your ebay auction lands you:cheers:

metal detector for sale for 50$ at canadian tire. saw one today, crossed my mind to pick one up haha

I have been using the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV since the beginning of this thread, but recently acquired an older, "top-o-the-line" White's Eagle II SL.

Now, this thing is a 1981 model, and has a damned computer screen attached, and tells you exactly what you are seeing, and how deep it is, BEFORE you even dig!!!

I still have lots of practice, to get it figured out. It has several programs, depending on what kind of hunting you are doing, plus you can program it yourself. For example, you can scan a pop-top, and tell it "ignore this signal from now on" and guess what...NO MORE POP-TOPS!!!

Attachments

• WhitesEagleIISL90.5ControlPanel.jpg
    WhitesEagleIISL90.5ControlPanel.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 20
Jake,,,
But the excitement you had was priceless, right???

Actually it was a chiily evening so the wife was complaining that she was cold so I only got to scan for about 20 minutes. You guys think I should put a reserve price on the bolt or just let it go to the highest bidder?

Highest bidder, without a doubt. Let us know what you get for it.

You will learn to leave the wife at home when you go scanning (unless that is her on your red seadoo avatar, then I wouldn't let her leave my SIGHT!!! Those kinds of girls don't wait around for us metal detector-type of guys!) You will get more and better scanning without a tag-along.

My wife just read that over my shoulder, hit me hard in the arm, then asked "where would he be where it is cold?" I said Pittsburgh, PA, and she said "That sucks! we have 75 LOWS and they have it COLD at night! I would go metal detecting with you if it was cold out!"

Not bad for a first go! Schoolboy finds WW2 bomb - with metal detector he got for Christmas.

Sonny Cater, seven, received the £30 device as a gift and gave it its first outing in fields near his home when he stumbled on the mud-caked metal capsule.
Yahoo! NewsYahoo! News – Fri, Dec 28, 2012

Sonny shows off his new Christmas present (SWNS)
Enlarge Photo

Yahoo! News - Sonny shows off his new Christmas present (SWNS)

A stunned schoolboy sparked a major security scare after finding a buried Second World War bomb near his house - with a metal detector he got for Christmas.

Sonny Cater, seven, received the £30 device as a gift and gave it its first outing in fields near his home when he stumbled on the mud-caked metal capsule.

After showing the find to his family, a bomb disposal squad was eventually sent to their home in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, to deal with the bomb.

Experts identified the device as a 10lbs British practice bomb from WWII and it was removed for safe disposal.

Sonny's father Jem, 37, had become suspicious of the device and washed it under a tap before contacting a relative who is a former RAF armourer.

His mother Tracey explained that the bizarre incident 'made their Christmas'.

She said: She said: "We are dumbfounded that he discovered this on his first go.

"We are going to go out again to see if he can find something Roman. It has made our Christmas.
"It was caked in mud and Jem just thought it was a lump of metal and took it home.

"Sonny did become a little nervous with the arrival of the emergency services."

Sonny was enjoying a walk across Roydon Common for around 15 minutes with his parents and brother Marley, nine, on Boxing Day when his metal detector started beeping.
Discovered: The WW2 practice bomb found by Sonny (SWNS)

He dug up the treasure but couldn't make out what it was - so he hurriedly bundled up the muddy object and took it home to wash down.

Concerned Jem contacted his partner's father, Steve Wood, after uncovering the pointed end.

Granddad Steve, who had served more than 20 years in the RAF armoury, advised him to call 999 and place it in a bucket of cold water.

This was a precaution in case it was a German phosphorous bomb, which would ignite if dry.

Bomb disposal experts from RAF Wittering in Cambridgeshire rushed to the family home and identified the item as a 10lb British practice bomb head.

The bomb head still contained internal wiring and was taken away for disposal.

It is believed to have been used in practice World War II bomb runs.

Luckily the 10lb bomb head did not contain any explosive material.

Mum Tracy, 39, a nurse at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, added: "Kids always love looking for treasure so we thought it would be a fun random present for his stocking.

"When the it started buzzing we all thought it would be some two pence pieces or something like that - I never thought it would be anything this serious.

"It was all very exciting, the kids and Jem started digging and then our crazy dog started digging too.

"It was a big muddy lump when it came to the surface so we stupidly thought lets take it home.

"We feel a bit silly now we know it could have potentially been dangerous but its not often we go exploring and end up with a bomb in a bucket of water at the end of the garden.

"I should imagine there was a few curtains twitching on our road on Boxing day.

"There was the police and bomb disposal outside our house the neighbours must have thought we were mad."

The torpedo-shaped bomb which was discovered was of no danger to the public but was deposed of.

Practice bombs were used in the first and second world war to allow military to practice without causing the same excess of damage as they would with a regular bomb.

Training pilots would also use the 10lb practice bombs as they were cheaper than the £1000 worth of bomb used in military attack.

RAF Wittering spokesman Flight Lieutenant Donald Earl has advised people to call police and not move suspicious items.

He said: "We find a lot of bombs in Afghanistan with metal detectors but we don't tend to find them in the UK.

"We would urge members of the public to leave suspicious items in situ."

This link has pictures of the bomb..... http://uk.news.yahoo.com/kings-lynn...ristmas-metal-detector-155853721.html#5THPtr4

What I can't understand is that the father washed it then called someone. I know that everyone is curious, BUT to bring inside the house to clean it????

Too bad the RAF couldn't disarm it, then give the casing back to the kid.

Most British people, and anyone else who lives where live munitions can be found, know better than to touch old bombs and mines.

Back