Since our lake is empty, I decided to buy a metal detector...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Please find my anchor and various tools I've lost over the decades.....

esp. with no water....you might a gold mine worth of stuff.

Please find my anchor and various tools I've lost over the decades....

Not sure how much possibility your stuff ended up down in Lake Houston and surrounding areas, but if I find anything that fits that description, I will let you know!

Been finding nice old 1950s bottles and other items. old beer cans, jars, things like that. Time to look for metals!

And maybe some of the car keys, pocket knives, fishing reels I have lost over the years.

First thing I will do is go to our aunts house and find that gold nugget ring a cousin lost in her front yard years ago!!! Gotta pay off the metal detector SOME way!

If you find any old beer cans in good condition (if that's possible in water) I'll buy them from you. I have a small collection of imported and some craft beers from the places I've visited on vacations......Russia,Ireland, Canada, Mexico etc, NY,Germany, Italy, (last 2 my wife brought back).

I am finding lots of beer cans, but I don't know what you would call "good" shape...On one trip, I found 3 different bud light cans with three different styles of labels. THAT was kinda cool. Lots of cans with the old pull tops, but still aluminum. Lots of pull tops.

Unlike all the other treasure hunters around here, who find pull tabs and bottle tops and just pull them to the surface and leave them, I am bringing an extra bag to actually REMOVE them from the lakebed and haul them out. No reason to pull up sunken pull tabs for others to step on when the water comes back up. Besides, they ARE recyclable material...

I watched an old guy this past weekend in the boat launch area finding mostly pull tabs, and he just flicked them above ground with his shovel, identified them as pulltabs (and not worth anything to him) and left them on the top of the dirt. Now, when the water comes back up a bit and they open the ramp, many of us will have to actually push our boats out past the no wake zone, and all those previously sunken tabs will now be right up on top for us to step on.

I will pick them up and add them to my aluminum cans and catfood can recycle bin in the garage. Won't add any significant mass for recycle, but WILL remove water hazards for future boaters.

Sounds like fun, post up pics of cool stuff you find. Awesome of you to think of getting rid of the junk!!!

Scoop, where did you get your detector? I was looking at one at Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago that was only $45 but wasn't sure if it would be any good or not. Thought it could be an interesting hobby.

I was asking around and got the typical "You get what you pay for" routine. They get VERY expensive VERY quickly.

I ordered a $99 jobbie from Sams Club online, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/TK4-PL Metal Detector at http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=194507&navAction=

it has waterproof coil (round doohicky at the bottom that shoots out the signal) so I can stick in into shallow water and find stuff. It is mid-low end, but there are cheaper ones out there.

I don't need one that tells me "a penny - 6" down", I need one that goes "beeeeeeeeep" and I get the pleasure of digging it up and figuring out what it is!

As for safety...I just know that if I find a pull tab, and toss it back in the water, I am GUARANTEED to find it again next season. Stuck in the bottom of my foot.

I wouldn't throw a broken bottle into the water, a razor blade, or anything else sharp. So why would I dig up a pop top and toss it back into the water?

Cool. I have been looking at metal detectors for a little while. Looking for a hobby that will not get me hurt to bad. Lol. I think I found the one I want to get.

Good luck.

Got it today by fed ex at 5 pm. here is my first load of treasure! I haul out all the trash for recycle or garbage, I don't leave it behind. To me, it is just littering to leave it.

Also found 20 cents in change, a golden angel earring, several buttons from kids' clothing, and a huge metal punch!

This was all found in either playgrounds with bark mulch bottoms, or the little-little league football field, for the 5-year olds. The heavy wire and cans were primarily from the football fields. And the big metal punch.

treasurefirsttrip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just got it today then how did you find all the other in the previous posts?

An older metal detector????

The bottles and such from previous posts were just found by eye on the surface while walking the "beaches". The low lake is the primary reason i was prompted to buy a metal detector. Just got it today by fedex, so i was just practicing around the house. I will take it to the lake this weekend, and to other prime locations for finding lost treasures!

This is my first metal detector. All prior finds were by eye.

I joined a metal detector forum to lean from the guys that know. Seach for it. It comes up as the first forum. There is a section on learning your detector. It is very helpful.

Got it today by fed ex at 5 pm. here is my first load of treasure! I haul out all the trash for recycle or garbage, I don't leave it behind. To me, it is just littering to leave it.

Also found 20 cents in change, a golden angel earring, several buttons from kids' clothing, and a huge metal punch!

This was all found in either playgrounds with bark mulch bottoms, or the little-little league football field, for the 5-year olds. The heavy wire and cans were primarily from the football fields. And the big metal punch.

View attachment 9801

I think i've found all that same stuff in the hull of my seadoo sitdown pwc !

If you just got it today then how did you find all the other in the previous posts?

An older metal detector????

Jeeze, some people's kids! Did you not notice that he is 2 time-zones behind??? He got the metal detector at 5PM and still had 2 hours to find all that stuff before it really arrived. You better get Crisso to explain that time thing to you. But wait til tomorrow to ask him, cause it's still yesterdee down in Oz land.

So have you found any goods yet? I hope to get my MD within the next week. Had the money but needed it for other stuff. :(

Seadoobuddy.He got the detector from me.I am 1 1/2 days ahead ahead of you guys in time.I knew you were going to post this question on here and already had the answer on speed dial.(not the drug type),Now because I sent it to him a day and a bit ahead of you,he found the stuff yesterday,not the same day as he got the detector.because the stuff is old and lost it has been through the time differentail maybe 4 times.This means he has had the detector for ages.I hope that clarifies your question to scooper about his timing of the arrival of his detector.
Hey Sooper.Great thing you found tomorrow

I was asking around and got the typical "You get what you pay for" routine. They get VERY expensive VERY quickly.

I ordered a $99 jobbie from Sams Club online, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/TK4-PL Metal Detector at http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=194507&navAction=

it has waterproof coil (round doohicky at the bottom that shoots out the signal) so I can stick in into shallow water and find stuff. It is mid-low end, but there are cheaper ones out there.

I don't need one that tells me "a penny - 6" down", I need one that goes "beeeeeeeeep" and I get the pleasure of digging it up and figuring out what it is!

As for safety...I just know that if I find a pull tab, and toss it back in the water, I am GUARANTEED to find it again next season. Stuck in the bottom of my foot.

I wouldn't throw a broken bottle into the water, a razor blade, or anything else sharp. So why would I dig up a pop top and toss it back into the water?

I guess it depends on the size of the object, but in general (say a coin), how far down will the Sam's detector work? Have you guys read any posts on the metal detector forums of anybody finding anything really valuable?

other than beaches, what are the prime places they recomend to search?

Back