Should you disconnect the battery when not being used for a few days/weeks?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaLife

Should you disconnect the battery when not being used for a few days/weeks?
I find that my battery goes week if I don't start the seadoo every few days,
like if i let it sit for a week without the key in it, the battery drains.

Do you guys disconnect the negative cable if you know you won't be using it for more than a week?

Does that make a difference?

It's not going to hurt anything by disconnecting the battery. A lot of people do it. It's a good practice to have. If nothing else, it's a good excuse to do so that way before every ride you check out the engine compartment to make sure everything is in good order

But you should still address the battery draining issue. IT should not be pulling enough to drain that thing in one week.

Trickle charging is okay with the cables connected to the engine, or disconnect one to charge the battery?

You can disconnect it, but I usually just leave mine in and keep the triple charger connected to it.

Both battery cables should be disconnected when charging battery with trickle/tender/charger/whatever. Risk of damaging MPEM etc. If not disconnected.

I always disconnect pos and neg when charging. I want battery isolated from ski electrically 100% when charging.

Factory Manual states battery shouldn't even be in ski hull when charging. For risk of fumes etc. But it's all up to owner.

Bottom line is, 2.5 amps pr less is an accepted level in regards to charging the battery and have the cables connected. And even then, NEVER put the lanyard on as this will power up the MPEM and it may cause damage.

Bottom line is, 2.5 amps pr less is an accepted level in regards to charging the battery and have the cables connected. And even then, NEVER put the lanyard on as this will power up the MPEM and it may cause damage.

Thanks, man.

SO...let's say you are at the ramp and go to start the machine and it is dead...could one use another battery (not from a running engine), like those little 3-in-1 starter deals, to jump it?

I have heard that boost boxes will kill an MPEM. You could jump it from your truck if it is not running, but for sure, nothing over 13VDC. I think the boost boxes may be 16 or so volts. Just what I have heard. But use caution.

Thanks, man.

SO...let's say you are at the ramp and go to start the machine and it is dead...could one use another battery (not from a running engine), like those little 3-in-1 starter deals, to jump it?

I have also heard and read that Jump Boxes are a no no. But,, any other battery is fine to jump from. Just not while the other battery is in a RUNNING vehicle. Much like Soccerdad stated..

i have 3 skis that will drain a battery in 2 weeks. i put disconnected the pos cable,put a test light on the battery lug and the cable,then disconnected stuff till i saw the light turn off.evry one of them was the vts.so i either unplug the vts,like if it sits a few days,or pull a battery cable,if its gonna sit more than a couple days.

i put my battery tender plus on mine while in the ski cables connected but it only puts out 1.8 amps max.

I have been using a trickle charger (tender Jr or the Optimate) for years and years and i've never disconnected the battery once, as long as its 2.5 there is no concern. (I have never plugged in the lanyard that I know of so I'd follow that recommendation)

Still wouldnt risk it. I want the battery isolated from the skis electrical system. What does it take? an extra minute or 2 to disconnect the cables?

Rob

I also disconnect my batteries' neg cables when I'm not going to use the skis. Perhaps it is the VTS draining my batteries. My Yami GP1200 will also drain the battery but my ancient, 1994 WaveRaider will not drain the battery if I leave it connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back