Shifter stuck in forward on 97 speedster.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boggs

Hey Guys, I took our 97 speedster out today and while going in to dock noticed that the shifter was stuck in forward. I tried to get it in to neutral but had no luck. Once i got the boat out of the water i noticed that there are little metal clips on the gates that where keeping the gate from going down. I finally got it down but if I lift the gate all way up again the clips click and hold the shifter into the forwark position and then i cant get it into neutral. Is this usual or do people take these clips off. Any help would be great, I can post pics if that help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clips are supposed to be there to hold the buckets up. You don't want that accidentally dropping at full throttle.

When you start to move the control lever... they should unlock. You will have to post a pic of your linkage so we can see if something broke.

From vibration, the little lever on the reverse bucket wears a groove in it and won't clear the latch. Replace the lever.

Chester

Are they supposed to click in everytime I put it in forward? They get close but they dont engage everytime. Also if i file them down a bit to take the grove out would that work until i can get new ones? Ill post a pic tomarrow of the linkages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it should click. Adjust (shorten) the cable a little. And yes, you can file the lever to remove the groove. I always just replace them because to a customer, the part is way cheaper than my labour cost.

Chester

Thanks for the reply, Im going to replace them. Whats the best way to get that roll pin out?

Same problem

Thanks for the reply, Im going to replace them. Whats the best way to get that roll pin out?

I had the exact same problem....did you try filing the metal bar? Also how do you tighten the linkage? I dont see any adjustment point

I filed them till the grove was out, But it seems like it still gets stuck every once in a while. I just reach over and unlock the clips when it happens now. Its kind of a pain but im not sure how else to get it right.

Yes it should click. Adjust (shorten) the cable a little. And yes, you can file the lever to remove the groove. I always just replace them because to a customer, the part is way cheaper than my labour cost.

Chester
Hi whist working on my boat (speedster 200 2004) i broke my forward safty latch clip. I’ve searched as best I can but can’t find a part number or find anywhere that can sell me one?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Kind Regards Rob in Plymouth United Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back