Seadoo Wake 2008 Throttle Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wake08

Hi all
I have got a seadoo wake 215hp 2008 that I bought brand new just over a year ago, recently I have been having a minor problem when i'm at cruising speed or accelerating slowly, the rpm's suddenly drop for a split second and the ski backs off then takes off again, I've noticed it to be around the 4000-4200 rpm range and then drops to about 3800, almost like a 'flat spot' but it doesn't always happen. When it backs off i've tried accelerating hard and sometimes it takes off other times it continues to be 'stuck' in that rpm until I completely back off the accelerator to idle position. I have had no luck at the dealer as they said they couldn't fault the machine. Does anyone have any ideas or has had a similar problem?
Thanks
Wake08

Call your BRP customer assitance number!...

Hi all
I have got a seadoo wake 215hp 2008 that I bought brand new just over a year ago, recently I have been having a minor problem when i'm at cruising speed or accelerating slowly, the rpm's suddenly drop for a split second and the ski backs off then takes off again, I've noticed it to be around the 4000-4200 rpm range and then drops to about 3800, almost like a 'flat spot' but it doesn't always happen. When it backs off i've tried accelerating hard and sometimes it takes off other times it continues to be 'stuck' in that rpm until I completely back off the accelerator to idle position. I have had no luck at the dealer as they said they couldn't fault the machine. Does anyone have any ideas or has had a similar problem?
Thanks
Wake08

Don't hesitate with this problem. The dealer you are taking this to is either in-experienced with the B.U.D.S. software or just not wanting to take the ski out and put it through it's paces to find out what the problem is. I would call BRP in the US at (715) 848-4957 and make a complaint to them. Tell them everything you did with the dealer to this point.

You paid way to much money for this thing to have to "settle" for it "as-is". Stay on top of this. You should not be seeking our advice to help you fix it, they need to take this thing back and do it right, or give you a new one....:cheers:

Don't hesitate with this problem. The dealer you are taking this to is either in-experienced with the B.U.D.S. software or just not wanting to take the ski out and put it through it's paces to find out what the problem is. I would call BRP in the US at (715) 848-4957 and make a complaint to them. Tell them everything you did with the dealer to this point.

You paid way to much money for this thing to have to "settle" for it "as-is". Stay on top of this. You should not be seeking our advice to help you fix it, they need to take this thing back and do it right, or give you a new one....:cheers:

seadoo snipe said it, there is nothing that should be going wrong with that new of a boat, let alone the amount of money youve paid. get on them.

before calling anyone and complaining, change your plugs. you describe exactly what happens when a spark plug begins to fail in the 4tec motor, it creates a flat spot or a surging type acceleration in the mid range intermittently. it will get worse until eventually you have no more top end acceleration.

the 4tec motors do foul plugs contrary to popular belief, it fouls more plugs than any other 4 stroke I've ever seen. BUDS does not pick this up and there will be no codes.

But don't stall....

before calling anyone and complaining, change your plugs. you describe exactly what happens when a spark plug begins to fail in the 4tec motor, it creates a flat spot or a surging type acceleration in the mid range intermittently. it will get worse until eventually you have no more top end acceleration.

the 4tec motors do foul plugs contrary to popular belief, it fouls more plugs than any other 4 stroke I've ever seen. BUDS does not pick this up and there will be no codes.

B.U.D.S. does not pick up the flat spots of plug fouling but it will pick up the drops in rpm ranges and surging. I dont' think the plug fouling is that big of an issue. These motors are constantly advancing and retarding their ignition and mixing the fuel air ratio when in operation. So, if the engine managment system is working correctly, plugs are changed per maintenance requirement, I don't see why you should have a fouling issue.

I'm still concerned about the lack of concern from his dealership. If here were in their to buy the ski, the dealer would be licking his boots, doing anything he can to get him to buy it. But, once that check has changed hands, it becomes a different story. I might add, that isn't the case on a large part of the dealerships but I do know it exists.

You have taken it to the dealer, so the problem has been documented. I'd keep any paperwork generated by your dealership on your issue, just in case they loose anything related to your visits.

I would not change the plugs unless your no longer under any warranty program. Why? Because this is a diagnostic tool for a mechanic to be able to detect a problem with a cylinder.

From what you've described though, you are still protected and your not getting what your ski requires. You might visit the dealership and speak with a member of managment to tell them your not happy with the enigne performance and the last visit by you for them to diagnose the problem. That the problem still exists and you have maintained your end of the bargain in buying the ski. Now, they need to find out why your 4-TEC is doing what it is doing.

In a big way, I see where ski-d00 is coming from but it's not your responsibility to engage in any maintenance or repair work when the ski is in it's first year or so of operation, especially if your under the extended warranty program. Outside the routine maitenance after riding, in caring for the ski, they should be doing anything there-after.:cheers:

I don't consider the plug fouling an issue but there are consumers out there that think since the plugs in my car will last 100k miles, the same should be true for my seadoo 4 stroke which is not the case.

I've dealt with a couple of AU SeaDoo dealers to help solve some problems with seadoos and their experience level was not good. I don't blame them but they just don't see the throughput that most US dealers see (not to mention that most US dealers just aren't that good either for a variety of reasons). Sure, they have a trained SeaDoo tech but without the years of experience it doesn't mean much.

Spark plugs

I totally agree with SNIPE on the dealer/warranty issue. I, also, totally agree with ski-dOO on the spark plug issue. The FIRST thing you do to a 4TEC with a running issue is replace the plugs even if they don't have many hours on them. It will fix the problem 90% of the time. I'm not sure what the deal is with the misfiring plugs. The ones you remove usually look normal but you might as well throw them away.
DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back