SeaDoo Impeller

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank2104

I recently decided to try an aftermarket impeller on my 6 month old 2013 GTX-155. I'd read a lot about how the impeller should improve hookup, mid range etc. The only way to really know was to replace the impeller before the original one had deteriorated, to compare apples with apples. I finally decided on a Solas, however I was advised that the SKAT-TRAK was also very good. To cut a long story short, the Solas looked like a work of art compared to the relatively crude appearance of the original Sea-Doo impeller. Fitting the impeller and new wear ring was simplicity itself. End result - was so worth it. The low end hook up and mid range punch improvement was startling. I'll admit to being really skeptical at the start of the project. The acceleration is effortless for a ski which compared to the supercharged models is not overly powerful. I haven't had the opportunity to check out the top speed yet, because the speed limit is 40 knots where I go on the Gold Coast. I hope you guys find this post helpful.

Hi Jafo. I did quite a lot of research on this. Solas have a new prop for the later GTX155 (2010 onwards). It's a four blade impeller - SRB-CD-11/19. I purchased it in Australia for about the same price as was available from the USA. Change the wear ring too, but I would suggest to stay away from the stainless steel type.

Why......?

General consensus is,,,

If something goes wrong and you have a SS wear ring it does not allow for give. Irbid easy to destroy all the components in the pump area including the hull.

The SS rings can work fantastic. But can cause hundreds of dollars of damage as well.

Thanks frank I have 2011 gtx 155 . I will get this changed over thanks for your help

Wear Ring

Why......?

I really did quite a lot of research before undertaking the change. The general opinion seemed to be that the ss wear ring did offer some performance gain, but there was a real risk of damage to the drive line. So in the end I was conservative and opted against a stainless steel ring. Would be interesting to hear from anybody who has had one fitted long term.

Why......?

For me the extra little but if gain from a SS ring is offset by the chance I'll suck something up and trash the pump instead of a plastic wear ring. The places I ride are full of things floating around and water is usually shallow. This past season I think I went through 2 wear rings. No big deal at $40 a piece. A SS ring could've cost me more in damages.

I really did quite a lot of research before undertaking the change. The general opinion seemed to be that the ss wear ring did offer some performance gain, but there was a real risk of damage to the drive line. So in the end I was conservative and opted against a stainless steel ring. Would be interesting to hear from anybody who has had one fitted long term.

I've had my ss ring installed now for 6-7yrs. That long enough to count? I don't run through garbage...I don't beach my ski. The two times I've ingested a stick...it became salad behind the prop. The gap between my prop and ring, to this day, measure .004-.006. Solas 14/19+3(now)...tweeked many times....grease replaced often....orrignial bearings....240+hrs.

What did the ring cost me?...$210?

I figure it was a worthy and cost effective investment.

I've had my ss ring installed now for 6-7yrs. That long enough to count? I don't run through garbage...I don't beach my ski. The two times I've ingested a stick...it became salad behind the prop. The gap between my prop and ring, to this day, measure .004-.006. Solas 14/19+3(now)...tweeked many times....grease replaced often....orrignial bearings....240+hrs.

What did the ring cost me?...$210?

I figure it was a worthy and cost effective investment.

That's a pretty tight clearance, I wouldn't have expected that. My personal specualtion is the non-stainless wear rings actually are cut by the impeller a bit upon first spinning up the impeller and thus the clearance was tighter, I don't think that can happen with a stainless ring, the clearance has to be designed in and thus closely matched with the impeller diameter. Beyond that, I can't speculate.

But, I don't have any experience with the SS wear ring, this is just what I would guess. Typical clearance of the non-stainless rings seems greater than .004~.006, once run for a bit, from what I've seen.

Thanks red2blue. I was seriously considering the ss wear ring, but as I said, I got cold feet. Based on your experience it may well be a good idea to go ss next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back