Seadoo 96-97 GTX Repairs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
A point of concern for me is that If the fit was not designed to accommodate the seal it should not be there. Adding the neoprene seal will affect the shaft alignment unless is crushes to absolutely nothing. Neither the 1996 or 1997 GTX schematics calls for a seal but the 1995 GTX does. That said, I am considering using a sealant in that area.

Last edited:
LOL..... I guess I can't argue with you guys about it. Ha ha. Is the pump 140mm?? Will the 1995 GTX part number work on the 1997?

Last edited:
Waiting on parts..... fiddle dee dee. Guess I'll start on the trailer. 43 degrees this morning... This weather is sooo funky. I want to get the skis on the water and get the engine work broken in.

Looks like everything came in. I still have misgivings about this neoprene gasket thing and that it will affect the pump alignment. I got all the parts though and will work on this baby today.

Well your other option is to silicone the crap out of it and pull the pump off with your truck the next time you need to take it off, it's your ski

The neoprene will have no effect on alignment. Just install it and stop overthinking it.

Ha ha.... Since I don't work on this stuff I have to think through the design. :) Thanks for the tip though. I did install the neoprene.... I trust you guys.

I have a shaft seal question. The seal faces are not making strong enough contact for me. What is the best way to rectify this issue? At present I have the seal all the way into the boot fit, the same for the hull fitting. I want to make sure I get this part of the install correct. :)

Ha ha.... Since I don't work on this stuff I have to think through the design. :) Thanks for the tip though. I did install the neoprene.... I trust you guys.
You sure? Post 86 you were questioning it. What are you going to do when we tell you to hit your head on the wall? Trust us, we'd never steer you wrong.

I have a shaft seal question. The seal faces are not making strong enough contact for me. What is the best way to rectify this issue? At present I have the seal all the way into the boot fit, the same for the hull fitting. I want to make sure I get this part of the install correct. :)
There isn't much contact force. You can cheat the accordion boot forward a little and stick a 1/4 " wide cable tie around the thru hull adapter to keep it from pushing back.

Post a pic of what your set up looks like.

It's really just that simple of a design.

There isn't much contact force. You can cheat the accordion boot forward a little and stick a 1/4 " wide cable tie around the thru hull adapter to keep it from pushing back.

Post a pic of what your set up looks like.

It's really just that simple of a design.

So I don't trust this Micky Mouse set up. :) I like the Tie Wrap idea. Should I put sealant under the boot? I was reading and they recommended a product I am not familiar with.

Last edited:
Ehhhhhh.... it seems to be conforming... perhaps it won't sink. LOL

Attachments

• 20180422_153409.jpg
    20180422_153409.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180422_153426.jpg
    20180422_153426.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 29
Now for something I wasn't planning on doing just yet but the mats were too ugly. What does one plug the holes with... and suggestions on decent mats that don't require rivets or drilling.

Attachments

• 20180422_191438.jpg
    20180422_191438.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 22
I like it. The zip tie trick is for worn out boots, so the first time the ski sees the water don't back the trailer all the way down and check it for leaks along with all the other things you need to be checking on a project like this

Plug the holes with silicone, hydro turf diamond cut

The carbon seal set up looks just fine. No sealant needed on the boot. Trust me, it's that simple. You're over engineering this thing.

Mats, drill the old rivets with a 3/16 drill so the head pops off and use a punch to drive them in once you remove the mats. I use Bondo glass to fill the holes. There's outlet things that will work, I just wouldn't use silicone, the adhesive won't adhere to it. Look in my thread for my 95 xp800, if the pics are still there. I post pics on everything I've built.

I just did mine yesterday and used jb weld because I had it. Today I went over each rivet hole with a drill and abrasive wheel to smooth them down, being careful not to scratch up any area that wont be covered with the new mats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back