Seadoo 96-97 GTX Repairs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes your carbon seal is fine. You did use the rubber bumpers on both ends of the driveshaft correct?
Use Bondo Glass and scrape it flush with a razor blade as soon as it starts to gel and you won’t have to sand at all. Get the mats with the 3M adhesive already applied, the hydroturf are the best and don’t use silicone as nothing sticks to it.

You guys aren't painting over the hole repairs are you? I hope the new mats cover all the holes.

I sure don't like the torque recommendations on the plastic pump and venturi. That stuff feels like it is caving in when I torque it to spec.

Are you talking about the cone or the outer reduction nozzle?

Pump to hull and the Venturi to the pump which are the same bolts that mount the reverse. I keep looking for lower torque numbers but I don't find them. The torque mushes and you keep pulling and slowly you get the numbers you need. I don't like the way it feels. :)

Well, it won't leak, but I'd get a little more aggressive. I use 80 grit sand paper and lay it on a piece of steel for a flat parallel surface. Then in a circular motion sand the surface. I can still see where it looks like you put a screw driver between the carbon seal and the stainless ring to separate them. Put grease on the inside where the o-rings are so it slips together and comes apart the next time. When running they all get a little water on the surface on the seal. If you want to replace it I would go with the HD carbon seal kit from osdparts.com I have one on my HX, but I would use that one first. I'm still running the original one on my 96 XP.

Last edited:
Thanks Racerxxx. Wasn't me that damaged anything on the seal face. :) That poor ski has been through hell with knuckleheads working on it for sure. The marks in the picture are "pits" so a lot of metal would have to come off to make any difference at all. If need be I could machine it but for the money, I'd just as soon replace it at some point. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have a lathe and a milling machine. It's easier to just use paper or replace. If you look close at 3 and 9 o'clock on your picture you'll see the marks I'm talking about. Keep pressing forward.

I was advised to change the brushes in the starter but I figured I would destroy the starter taking in apart. It spun the engine over pretty good but when I put the plugs in, the starter didn't have the UMPH to get R done. Are there any decent new starters available"" I see them for $44 and $97 on Ebay. I only see really old OEM starters.

I just rebuilt the OEM starter on the 97 GTX I'm restoring, recently I think I paid $15 shipped for the rebuild kit, came with new brushes, bearings and some seals. It's a little tricky taking it apart and reassembling, but not that difficult to accomplish. Found it on ebay, pretty universal, the brushes is main thing you're after. I'm still in the stripped down phase on the motor and the hull, so I can't speak on the starter improvement yet, but it feels stronger running a bench test afterward.

It wasn't the starter. :) I'm still checking and will do some voltage drop tests on the system.

In between the Jet skis I am working on a double ski trailer. I think am just too anal. LOL Buffed the whole trailer and painted with Cold Gavanize, replacing lots of parts, repaired the spindles, new bearings and seals, etc.... I really like the design and it has a nice aluminum box on the front. Hopefully the trailer will be ready tomorrow and I'll mount the skis. Then... finally I can do some water tests. Yay !!! I still have much trepidation as these skis seem temperamental but they both got a whole lot of love, time, and diligent mechanical attention. My daughter rented a camp on the water for the weekend for us to get some jet ski time. Her big concern is alligators if the skis break down. LOL She works out and is pretty tough but I told her to bring her NINE just in case !!! :D :D

I want to do some checks on the starting system of the 97 GTX. It is common for the starter to wimp out and not get the engine past the compression stroke. This is the third starter I tried with the same results. I've also done other checks but not proper voltage drop checks. I will read up on those. I also want to find out how many amps the starer is drawing. This is the engine I just built. Initial compression checks were on the high side but everything is within tolerance.

How does it feel if you take the plugs out and turn it over by hand?
The engine turns smooth by hand and the problem existed before I connected the drive shaft. When I built the engine I did put oil in the crankcase, which I drained before starting. I figured the residual oil had the engine wet initially so I spent some time with the plugs out clearing it. 3 different starters, same problem. I even connected the battery directly to the starter. I tried a 1000 CCA car battery with the same results. I have run the engine twice with water connected. Everything seems fine. Piston squish is on the loose side, ring end gaps are within tolerance. I clamped the oil hose to the rotary valve to eliminate that possibility. Seems to me I got 3 weak starters or too much compression. Very strange for me.

I ain't NEVER had a brand new battery that was bad let alone THIS bad, Did some checks on the battery today. Even the Charger and the electronic battery tester were confused and conflicting. Swapped it out and the ski spun over easily and started right up. I was shocked to see the engine turn over. Talk about giving me the run around. I think I'll get me an amp meter for my next tool. :)

A friend had the exact same problem with two brand new batteries from Walmart. Replaced cables, starter and wouldn’t believe me on batteries. I brought over my old Yuasa and it fired immediately.

A friend had the exact same problem with two brand new batteries from Walmart. Replaced cables, starter and wouldn’t believe me on batteries. I brought over my old Yuasa and it fired immediately.

This was a $90.00 AGM from Auto Zone. Sometimes it would work so it had me thinking.... "wet cylinder".

Well here we go !! I'm not completely done but were going for the test day. :) The one on the left is the GTX I've been working on. It needs some cosmetic attention because I like pretty. :) The one on the right is the second ski I purchased and the first GTX. This one wouldn't start. I went though it and found the trigger pick up full of rust. Both of them got lots of love. :) The SPI isn't pictured but it needs to be broken in as well. The SPI was my first ski. I bought it last May. Boy did I learn a lot about jet skis. LOL Yikes !! I've never been a boat guy. :D :D

Attachments

• GTX on Trailer.jpeg
    GTX on Trailer.jpeg
    776.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back