Seadoo 951 x4 build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's to brothers that aren't around any longer. At least not here. :heart: It doesn't sound like a 951 but doesn't exactly sound like a 787. LOL You gotta name it bro. :thumbs-up:

Thanks man.
Yea the sound surprised me too. I was more impressed by how fast it revs down. I had it pig rich on jetting. Maybe between that and the advanced timing. My brother named it the ‘hydro homo’. Ha. Sorry if that offends anyone

Ah man... that name sucks !! LOL but you gotta keep it. Needs a shorter form. "Hummer"

I got a 787 with all sorts of crap on it. I like stock but I'm gonna go with the parts on there. I'll kick myself later. I'd love to do a wild paint job on it. I'm partial to lime green metallic and black. I saw one like that in a picture and it was cool. Engine should be in in a couple of weeks. I like doing my own stuff but I got engines everywhere. :) Good Luck with that beast !! Ha ha

Ur like me. Have several stock machines which are fun as hell. But then several with some aftermarket goodies. I think i register 7 or 8 total. I cant remember. That doesnt include the 9 i have to cut up and throw in a dumpster. My favorite ski as of now is an hx with a 800. I still have quite a bit of tuning on my 96xp with a ve920. My ‘daily’ is just a stock 96xp. Also currently doing resto on a grey ghost. My wife always asks me what im gonna do with all this. Well its a hobby. Could be worse things to spend money on.

That doesnt include 6 that my brother had that i am trying to keep going for him. I think of it as cornering the market in the old 2 stroke seadoos

Does anyone have a x4 ride played for cheap ? I have two parts skis but I suck at taking them off with out braking them .

I've never had a problem taking them off with a small hydraulic jack and some scrap wood to keep it from gouging.

The faster way (mph wise) would be to remove the material around the original battery tray and get a 951 waterbox fitted in there. Less intrusive would be a crossover to a relocated inlet on a 787 waterbox. I'm not sure what the mph difference would be if any.

I've never had a problem taking them off with a small hydraulic jack and some scrap wood to keep it from gouging.

The faster way (mph wise) would be to remove the material around the original battery tray and get a 951 waterbox fitted in there. Less intrusive would be a crossover to a relocated inlet on a 787 waterbox. I'm not sure what the mph difference would be if any.
Thanks matt. Never thought about a bottle jack. I'm going to try that since everyone wants 65 to 120 for one. I think I'm going to put the water box in on the side where the battery is

ill post some pics at lunch when i go home. i have the ski upside down and been doing a lot of sanding and body work on the bottom of the ski. I should get my paint today and i hope to paint the bottom of the ski and the hood (yellow) this weekend. then i will flip the ski and get the top going. I also thing im going to do twin exhaust ports on the ski lol

still looking for a few parts. as far as a head goes...does any one mill them? i have tried to call group k but they never answer even if i leave a message....i could always got with a ada though for $300

Thanks dan I'll look in to that
2666926e67665a29df329140cae494b6.jpg
5d7b420b7cbe90b25d292c74cbb9d03e.jpg
b6421d89be98aff3fca907f369932269.jpg
81b20a968d27887f5fb3da2c484102dd.jpg

Got some more work done tonight. I sanded all the duraglass and got it in primer. Tomorrow I plan to block sand the primer and it the bottom with scuff and clean.
a14a51acb1e5c46e68f8c16711e42b5c.jpg
96f66bc54949b9b72102770251dcf86b.jpg
c6caf16d34ee67f41e71f7a9712f64ae.jpg
c3a5194bc270e784e4599e78cef88ca3.jpg

Got some more work done tonight. I sanded all the duraglass and got it in primer. Tomorrow I plan to block sand the primer and it the bottom with scuff and clean.
a14a51acb1e5c46e68f8c16711e42b5c.jpg
96f66bc54949b9b72102770251dcf86b.jpg
c6caf16d34ee67f41e71f7a9712f64ae.jpg
c3a5194bc270e784e4599e78cef88ca3.jpg

From my experience painting a ski, i wish i had primered the whole ski. Not just the ‘repaired’ areas. I had solvent pop in certain areas and believe it to be from not priming.

From my experience painting a ski, i wish i had primered the whole ski. Not just the ‘repaired’ areas. I had solvent pop in certain areas and believe it to be from not priming.

Yep... Primer Sealer if you want a top notch job.

Paul, have you had any decent luck painting the bottom VS Gelcoat? I bought some hull paint but am considering Gelcoat and really don't want to gel coat. Engine and everything is in a 2000 RX. I don't even want to flip it over.

What color we going with and what kind of paint. Inquiring minds wanna know. :)

Thanks for the info. I have not had a problem with that yet. This makes my 7th ski I have done so I'm just trying to stick with the same recipe.

Yellow on the bottom and then I go over it with a two part clear. I'll post a pic of the clear tomorrow. Like I said, I've had very good luck with doing skis like this on a budget.
c417289bc8aa8143d5b987a834888b77.jpg

That's what great about the forum.... !! Two Part clear..... mmmmm.... Might make ugly look presentable. :D :D

2000 RX Damage (1).JPG

Last edited:
Paul, have you had any decent luck painting the bottom VS Gelcoat? I bought some hull paint but am considering Gelcoat and really don't want to gel coat. Engine and everything is in a 2000 RX. I don't even want to flip it over.

My normal ski i had the body shop paint it at the dealership i worked at at the time. Its held up really well and no wear on bottom except where i beached it on a shells. I dont know what they used as they are no longer in business. My last one i havent had on water a whole lot but doesnt seem as good as my other.

Man !!! That ski looks GREAT !!! Love the colors !!! I certainly agree on the paint prep that is the key.

I bought ugly with the pitiful body work on the side. Ewwww.... :) Somebody wasn't too good a body work. I am really good at prep just wish I had a paint booth. I'm usually in the yard. :) My buddy has a shop with a heated booth but I hate to bother him. I think I'm just gonna prep and paint the bottom. My problem is the engine is in so I'm not flipping the ski over. I'll figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back