seadoo 4tec rectifier fault

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kieren.timmer

i have a 2003 seadoo GTX 4-TEC 185h supercharge. i have recently replaced the fuel pump and rectifier on the ski. when the rectifier is connected, the ski will start and idle for approx 30 seconds before it begins to drop its revs and stall. if i disconnect the rectifier, the screen flashes saying 12V low, but the ski will run fine. the rectifier’s output is about 13.9v.

i have tested the windings from the motor between each other and to earth and get 0.1ohms between each winding and no reading to earth. the three readings from the rectifier are the same to. if i connect the rectifier directly to the battery, the 12v low error message stops flashing and the ski runs fine. i know this is not correct to do but i was seeing if anyone had had a similar problem with their ski and what else to test or to look out for.

cheers, kieren

i have a 2003 seadoo GTX 4-TEC 185h supercharge. i have recently replaced the fuel pump and rectifier on the ski. when the rectifier is connected, the ski will start and idle for approx 30 seconds before it begins to drop its revs and stall. if i disconnect the rectifier, the screen flashes saying 12V low, but the ski will run fine. the rectifier’s output is about 13.9v.

i have tested the windings from the motor between each other and to earth and get 0.1ohms between each winding and no reading to earth. the three readings from the rectifier are the same to. if i connect the rectifier directly to the battery, the 12v low error message stops flashing and the ski runs fine. i know this is not correct to do but i was seeing if anyone had had a similar problem with their ski and what else to test or to look out for.

cheers, kieren

Ahhhh the dreaded 12V LOW issue.....seems to be "built" into the seadoo ski (all vintages....sighhhhhhhh). Oh well, it looks like your stator and rectifier are doing what they are supposed to...if you are getting 13.9 output from the rectifier then you probably need to start checking ALL the wiring and connectors for corrosion.....if the voltage from the rectifier can't get back to the battery to keep it charged up, the ski performance will start to suffer and the battery won't be ready for restarts. All these skis NEED a good fully charged battery (i.e. a functioning charging system) to get/keep things going, electrically speaking. Happy hunting, good luck.

Cheers for that mate. if i have the rectifier unplugged i get the 12v low warning, however if i plug the rectifier in the ski runs for about 15 seconds, the revs start to drop down and it stalls even if i use the throttle to try and increase the RPM. when this is happening, the 12v low warning isnt on, that only comes on if i unplug the rectifier and than the ski works if that makes sense. have you heard of a problem like this before?

My regulator went bad, replaced it and sure enough that one was bad. Installed the new one but wired direct to the battery and bypassed the umbilical so I mounted the regulator closer to the battery. Had the HIGH 12V warning after 2 hours...still stumped I replaced the battery and sure enough I was good to go. They are very sensitive for sure.

thanks for that CabralFamily. Before the old rectifier burnt out, the ski was running fine, however with the new rectifier wired directly to the battery, out of the water the ski now gets full RPM, but when i put the ski in the water yesterday, it would only rev to max 3000 rpm and would stall if i did not use the throttle. when i took it out of the water and home to flush it, it would idle fine again and could get full RPM. did you experience anything like this with your ski?

cheers, kieren

cheers, kieren
Yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back