Red light & 12v low warning: 2004 GTS 4tec and it's my fault!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Werkswell

Who knew? NEVER jump a weak Sea DOO battery with anything other than another PWC battery and absolutely NEVER use a Lithium Battery powered "jump box"!
I loved the convenience, light weight and "glove box" sized jump boxes that are all the rage. The $100 was steep but it even started my diesel Audi; that should have been a clue. When my trusty Sea Doo began "clicking" before almost cranking I knew it was time for a new battery. But it's Sunday and I want to go for a blast in the Bay! Seconds after the jump box fired up the PWC smoke and smell poured out from under the steering column although the Sea Doo started right up...I pulled the kill cord and opened all the compartments. Yes, the rectifier was cooked and smoking. New battery, new rectifier and the engine starts and sounds fine but 30 minutes later a red light pops on along with "12v Low" on the display. I tried a "known good" other rectifier; still not charging. Season ends so this spring I retrace my steps, no luck, until someone on this site mentions a fuse! Yep! Unlike any automobile charging circuit I have ever seen (I'm a retired Porsche tech) Sea Doo protects its electronics from idiots like me with a 30A fuse. Mine was blown, melted actually! Lithium batteries are scary. Beware; and never jump your Sea Doo.

Back