seado 1997 gti bombarder no beep or light at all with new battery

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzy21

Hello Every one I have this 1997 gti giving me no beep no light when plugging in the battery cables.
no issue with MPEM fuse box but two of the top fuse 15 amp and 5 amp shows current when i test then with the light tester but other fuse getting no current.
I also jump the realy and it did turn on the starter.
i also see the key and it did show current and with the key on i see 0 resistance so seems o issue.
I also notied the wired got really hot when by pass the realy (back electric box) I also see the fuse is good in the back electric box box which pass the current to the relay.
there was no issue with the gti I just had it outside and it did get some rain and after that i see this issue.
really appreciate all the help

The terminal post in which you connect your key. They often come defective on older Sea-Doo models. If the DESS post was dead you would be able to turn the engine bypassing the solenoid but the engine would not start. Do you have a second key you could try? It's a simple connector and doesn't require to reprogram the key.

no i dont have the 2nd key but i used the multi meter behind those wires yellow and black and i was able to see a closed circut with the key on and it was open when I remove it. actually couple of days before when i plug the battery it cauing the started to kick in by itself and i can see smoke from the battery terminals seems they gets really hot. i have removed the rectifier and have it under the heated oven for 15 min or so after that starter was not starting itself but until i bypass the realy post showing i am getting the current till the relay.
also when i press the start button i dont hear any click or any relay kicking in...

Plugging a new battery should definitely do that, even even less smoke from the battery (you could see a light spark but no more. The start/stop button is connected to the same wires as the DESS wires so if the DESS was defective the start button would not work.

Sounds like you have a major short somewhere, especially that you mentioned happening after rain. I am not mechanically skilled. Corrosion in the main fuse box? Hopefully someone else will come up with another answer.

One more thought: the DESS wires and start/stop wires are passing through the handle bar. If rain caused the issue, I would open the handle bar to check that all wires are OK and not corroded. Maybe the DESS post was already replaced before and that the wires were not properly sealed? That would definitely cause a short and maybe the starter to try to crank when connecting the battery.

yes i had it open and it looked good is there any fuse going to handle starter button or key POST or lights in the meter because what i see there is no current coming to the transistor which on off the back end electric box relay and that wire(yellow with black line) seems coming from MPEM.
I had pluged the MPEM directly to battery and then check the output from the MPEM it seems like different connector giving different volts

"yes i had it open and it looked good is there any fuse going to handle starter button or key POST or lights in the meter because what i see there is no current coming to the transistor which on off the back end electric box relay and that wire(yellow with black line) seems coming from MPEM."

I haven't seen any in the handle bar when I replaced mine.

"I had pluged the MPEM directly to battery and then check the output from the MPEM it seems like different connector giving different volts"

There is only thing I can says with regard to connecting the key to the post. When I just barely touch the key to the post, and even before inserting it all the way, I can hear a relay activation in the fuse box (like a faint click). Then when I insert the key fully I hear the two beep beeps.

And this spring, and I don't know if it was a good idea or not, I disconnected every connector inside the hull and lubricated all of them with dielectric grease. So far my ski has been running all summer without a glitch.

update I have open the MPEM connector cabel and it seems like the connector at the position 18 (last row 3rd one) is some how missing and thats indeed goes to buzzer and thats color code is PU-TN (purple -tan) seems that my b the cause not getting buzzer ?? but why i still dont get any light in the meters though any thoughts ?
see the picture below. Appreciate any guidance...

Attachments

• mpem.jpeg
    mpem.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
I doubt this is the issue but a bad contact can be the issue. I will not go on the lake and disconnect mine to compare with yours... but you have to make sure there is no oxidation there. I remember putting dielectric grease on mine on this specific connector this spring with a friend of mine (he's a mechanics and he only swears by dielectric grease!). I suppose the diagram of your ski would show all the connectors (maintenance manual).

Again, your issue followed rain and stuff getting wet. Short or bad contact or DESS post. I have never seen on this forum someone with a DESS post that created a short but at this point, I strongly suspect a short somewhere. I mean, a smoking battery and getting really hot is a strong clue. Usually when it rains (it pours...), you will not get water in the hull (or very little if you have a seat in two pieces). The handle bar however is more prone to humidity although I checked mine this spring and everything was dry without any trace of oxidation and BTW my ski often sits in a bit of rain without its cover. So the handle bar is pretty protected as well (unless you flip the ski).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back