Sea-Doo Spark Review - X4 Enthusiasts Rejoice! The Spark is here!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
???????????????????????

I assume he is referring to the DESS system

I have read that it is not the traditional DESS but it is a magnetic switch and that the key cost 50 dollars.

So,,, not a DESS as we know it but basically the same premise if what I have read is correct.

Yeah I should have specified. I always liked seadoos lanyard over the others so I hope this isn't a weak point. Never liked the old Yamaha style.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I was just looking over the brochure on seadoo.com and the spark is the only model without a check in the dess section

I can confirm that the Spark does not have DESS.

What it does have is a small magnetic lanyard that will still kill the engine when disconnected. Any lanyard works on any Spark.

I'm actually a little pleased that there is no dess on the spark. I wont have to have keys programmed, worry about keys going bad, dess posts going out or none of that.

I can't imagine them making a ski w/o a dess. Maybe not the dess we are all used to but I'm sure it will definitely have some sort of security/safety switch

I hate DESS I think it sucks !!! 9x out of 10 the key is in the storage bin, so a theif will get your ski anyway, and if its not in the storage bin, then you probably need to go piss away 2+ hours and $50 getting a new one made, to protect you from thieves ?

IMO its one of the worst idea's they EVER had. (no offense to the carbon seal)

Last edited by a moderator:
It also didn't have the typical big rubberized end. It looked more like plastic y that's arched

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't see the vid, but you mean it looks like the yami key ?

291.jpg

Picture an arched Y, where the points would touch a table and the center would be raised. I've I get back from Florida I'll try and find it. To hard to work from a phone right now.

IMO its one of the worst idea's they EVER had. (no offense to the carbon seal)

Hey comon now, don't forget the RAVES, those POSs are always either melting caps/plungers, breaking off in the cylinder or leaking black goo all over the place. I vote RAVES no. 1 worst idea. To make things worse, the motors run like ASS when they're not working properly. And $200 to replace the valve/housings each season is just rediculous. IMO, it's the primary reason for switching to any other motor.

Hey comon now, don't forget the RAVES, those POSs are always either melting caps/plungers, breaking off in the cylinder or leaking black goo all over the place. I vote RAVES no. 1 worst idea. To make things worse, the motors run like ASS when they're not working properly. And $200 to replace the valve/housings each season is just rediculous. IMO, it's the primary reason for switching to any other motor.

Rave valves are great. If they were not there you would never get the power that the motors with them have. If you cant advance the exhaust than you cant combust as much fuel. It would be like upgradin to a 4 barrel carb on an old car but not doing anything to the exhaust. You have to be able to move all that exhaust or the upgade is pointless. If they didn't introduce the rave then we would have been stuck with the 717

I'm not sure they actually help build more power, I think they just change the power curve some. I agree, it's nice to have them, but DAMN IT if they don't cause me more problems than any other part on the motor. It's an exhaust part, they could've at least designed it with aluminum parts instead of plastic... My friend says there are power valves out there that DON'T wear out every 100 hours. Maybe it's just SBT's quality, but I had brand new valves and housings wear out in less than a season this year. I was NOT a happy camper!! It would be nice to get away from them with a 4-tec engine.

Performance Upgrades

I bet GroupK or one of the other aftermarket companies will have an upgrade kit within the year to spice up the 90hp :) I wonder what it'll do to reliability as that motor is already cranking out 50% more power than its original 60hp little sister.

I'm not sure they actually help build more power, I think they just change the power curve some. I agree, it's nice to have them, but DAMN IT if they don't cause me more problems than any other part on the motor. It's an exhaust part, they could've at least designed it with aluminum parts instead of plastic... My friend says there are power valves out there that DON'T wear out every 100 hours. Maybe it's just SBT's quality, but I had brand new valves and housings wear out in less than a season this year. I was NOT a happy camper!! It would be nice to get away from them with a 4-tec

Buy OEM plain and simple.

Rave valves are great. If they were not there you would never get the power that the motors with them have. If you cant advance the exhaust than you cant combust as much fuel. It would be like upgradin to a 4 barrel carb on an old car but not doing anything to the exhaust. You have to be able to move all that exhaust or the upgade is pointless. If they didn't introduce the rave then we would have been stuck with the 717

there were 780cc race engines based on the 718 before the 787 was done, but they were high strung race engines. if seadoo had put a 110hp non-rave 2 cylinder in the 96 xp it would probably not be as reliable, be pretty finicky and sensitive to tuning, and wouldn't have the broad powerband that it does.

I'm surprised to hear about all these RAVE issues. They have never been a problem to me. I clean them every season and replace the parts as necessary... with OEM of course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Easier said than done. Last time, I tried and no dice. Lots of times, they don't even list the manufacturer.

Not sure I understand? What is the difficulty on locating OEM rave valves and housings, bellows, caps, o-rings and gaskets? Your local dealer can get them, Ebay has OEM ones, and any dealer you can order from online. Your not going to find the manufacturer and buy direct from them, it's not a commercial part. On Ebay you need to pay attention, I will only buy stuff still in the bag, if you see the valves listed as NEW REPLACEMENT that is the dead ringer for aftermarket.

Here you go all OEM, if your spending $200 per year on valves and housings for aftermarket here is OEM for $10 more and it has carb gasket for the jet boats that you could resell, I'd give you $15 for the pair shipped and that would cover your shipping of your parts. Only thing you would need is the o-rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-DOO-KIT...aft_Parts&hash=item2a21e3f257&vxp=mtr

Here's a link to an issue Big Jake just had
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?65240-SBT-Rave-Valves

You need to buy them when they come up, heck I just bought an obsolete exhaust seal for my Speedster last night, it was only on Ebay for 27 minutes I think. Some items you can sit on, other you need to jump on, I waited on the last pair of exhaust seals and someone else beat me to them. It sucks to have to spend the money in advance, but it's nice to have inventory when you need it.

I read more into the issue: it appears that the actual slots where the guillotine travels becomes worn out. I'm pretty positive that that is in fact my problem :( Knowing that an entire cylinder can completely wear out makes me lose all hope in this engine. I will be selling all but my modified 787xp. Can't maintain a fleet of these if the damn cylinders themselves wear out. The XP is the only thing worth all the trouble. Boats should just work with minimal effort. It's a shame, I've rebuilt EVERYTHING else on the Challenger. Raves.... a ridiculous design IMO :facepalm:

I read more into the issue: it appears that the actual slots where the guillotine travels becomes worn out. I'm pretty positive that that is in fact my problem :( Knowing that an entire cylinder can completely wear out makes me lose all hope in this engine. I will be selling all but my modified 787xp. Can't maintain a fleet of these if the damn cylinders themselves wear out. The XP is the only thing worth all the trouble. Boats should just work with minimal effort. It's a shame, I've rebuilt EVERYTHING else on the Challenger. Raves.... a ridiculous design IMO :facepalm:

uh, no, the rave housing where the skinny part of the valve comes through wears out to the point a new o-ring won't seal, then exhaust gets past the o-ring and melts the rave caps. the bellows can handle the heat, the caps cannot. if you replace the rave housings once new o rings and seals don't stop the leaking and melting rave caps, you should be good to go.

or.... i'll buy that challenger off ya cheap

.... heck I just bought an obsolete exhaust seal for my Speedster last night, it was only on Ebay for 27 minutes I think. Some items you can sit on, other you need to jump on, I waited on the last pair of exhaust seals and someone else beat me to them. It sucks to have to spend the money in advance, but it's nice to have inventory when you need it.

So your the one!!

I'm not sure they actually help build more power, I think they just change the power curve some. I agree, it's nice to have them, but DAMN IT if they don't cause me more problems than any other part on the motor. It's an exhaust part, they could've at least designed it with aluminum parts instead of plastic... My friend says there are power valves out there that DON'T wear out every 100 hours. Maybe it's just SBT's quality, but I had brand new valves and housings wear out in less than a season this year. I was NOT a happy camper!! It would be nice to get away from them with a 4-tec engine.

that is so weird what you say about raves.

I've owned several doo's over the past 5 years, and besides just cleaning them up (and not very often) i've never had any issue with rave's at all. even ran the wrong oil in a doo for a good 60 hours of riding and all I had to do was clean them up.

:willy_nilly:, snooze you lose :D

You can't wait on those, mine are starting to crack. After I beat you to the next one I'll help you find some.

Mine are actually leaking. Black tape wrapped tightly around it seems to have slowed it down, but it is "on like Donkey Kong"!!

Back