Sea-Doo Challenger 180 Supercharger Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunhams5624

Trying to remove the supercharger on my 2008 Sea-Doo challenger 180 to get it rebuilt and I can not get enough leverage to loosen the engine side e8 screw that holds the supercharger to the engine. Have to use a e8 box wrench because of the small space, but it's hard to get on and much harder to get any leverage to loosen. Any suggestions?

Have you tried any of the normal techniques:
-If there is a hose in the way, remove it
-Spray the bolt with penetrating oil the night before
-Heat the area with a heat gun (not a torch, not a hair dryer)
-Find a piece of pipe or conduit two feet long that fits over your wrench like an extension to give you leverage

Got it off. Penetrating oil and heat gun helped me get the engine side tough e8 bolt loose. Had to move the exhaust a bit. Since this is a 2008 I heard it's 50/50 if washers are steel/ceramic. See pictures below, I think ceramic but hard to tell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-235148.png
    Screenshot_20220205-235148.png
    784.1 KB · Views: 42
1644155934291.png
It's the easiest bolt to remove using this wrench. The top edge is ground for clearance.

Yes, looks to be ceramic washers but they are both there so crisis averted. Remove nut on end and remove the washers and hit them with a hammer and watch them shatter.

Last edited:
After the rebuild is complete with OEM parts does the 100 hrs or two years maintenance interval change? I heard they are rated at 200 hours with new parts with no mention of or every so many years.

After the rebuild is complete with OEM parts does the 100 hrs or two years maintenance interval change? I heard they are rated at 200 hours with new parts with no mention of or every so many years.
The kit did not change. They did change it to 200 hours though. We still recommend 100 hours as we have seen them fail between the 100-200 mark.

Looks good. See picture. They packaged really well. Really professional.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220220-122124.png
    Screenshot_20220220-122124.png
    840.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Do the superchargers really need to be rebuilt every two years? We had a brand new engine and supercharger put into our boat (when we bought it actually) and has been ran for 3 seasons and has only had 35 hours on it. Just curious if it is truly necessary to have it rebuilt this soon?

Do the superchargers really need to be rebuilt every two years? We had a brand new engine and supercharger put into our boat (when we bought it actually) and has been ran for 3 seasons and has only had 35 hours on it. Just curious if it is truly necessary to have it rebuilt this soon?
Watch our video here to see why the time intervals are important :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back