SBT premium vs. standard

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

factory81

Basically a 1 year vs. 2 year warranty.

I need a new casing, and cylinder. I was told I would get charged $200-250 for the casing, but I could get a used one local for $150 and not be penalized.

I also need a new cylinder unless SBT does not care if the cylinder has damaged the aluminum that it resides by, and the cylinder is cracked itself.

With that being said, would you guys spend $1195 on the premium 787 with 2 year warranty? Or $795 for the standard 787 with 1 year warranty?

The guy fixing my boat said plain and simple I beat my boat up too much. While I like to treat it like a jet-ski and try and jump waves in the water and so on. They do not hold up to abuse like that, and you will throw rods and seize the engine if I keep it up.

He also told me that he doesn't know if SBT can void a warranty for say "user installation error". He than goes on to say that if the user installs it wrong...problems will occur in the first 15 minutes. Not 5 hours after, or 1 week after. So if I was to kill the engine again (which he insinuates I will....he told me that I like to hot rod it, and they are pleasure craft...not jet-skis or donzi's).

With that being said....if the mechanic does something wrong is that basically the case? 15-20 minutes..no problems the mechanic installed it right? Everything after that is user error basically?

Anyways, $845 for standard. $1195 for premium. Thats $350 I could save not going premium. But the chances of killing the engine in 2 summers? Rather high?

Went with the premium.....

Going to fix my core up enough so SBT doesn't charge a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanic.........

First of all, tell your half baked mechanic to start repairing tricycles because he absolutly knows nothing of the Seadoo's...........dude, you drive this thing like a jet ski all day!..........God, I know I do. I have the 97 Challenger and I go out in the Bay when there is an east wind, kicking up 3 foot surf!........man, what a blast. I did hit so hard this season that I broke the little plastic hinges on my rope locker door and it flew off.........but oh well, you have to pay to play...........

Your write up from what your mechanic told you kinda hit me in the wrong spot. I hate seeing guys like you, that just like to have fun, be critized by someone like him. I hope you don't let this joker work on your boat anymore. He's probably the one setting it up for failure!.......

The difference in the standard or premium prices is mostly in the "NO FAULT".....(read that, no fault. That means, it doesn't matter if you accidentally drop a screw through the carbs and lock it up, they'll replace it!...but now, they won't keep doing it over and over again) they'll blame you for it. The warranty is only good at replacing it a time or two.

When you buy premium, your paying for all the gaskets and several other things that if you don't have on hand, you'll have to purchase with the standard motor anyway. Get the Premium engine, that way, you'll be sure you get everything to put your motor in..................

And get rid of the ignorant mechanic you got. :reddevil: My sister is for hire!:cheers:

Thank you Mr. Snipe!

Some Mechanics are better off... with nothing to doo!

I feel exactly the same way.

Now a few things that NO pwc takes to well:

Hitting rocks. Or logs.

Sucking gravel, at WOT.

Running without oil.

Clogged cooling systems.

Keep it running right, and it's gonna be ok.

And, do your break in with some extra oil in the gas. And doo what they say during break in.

This is a kind of funny thread. I am one of the more sedated drivers. I just drive them easy. But, I am married, and my wife takes GOOD care of me, if you know what I mean!

Nate

PS, hey, drive it like you stole it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfEigdlnWEY

He he he!

Married........

:agree: Nate.......I'm married with two small children. One 6 the other 7. So, when we all go out, it's the family ride. You know, pulling the tube, riding easy........

But when the cats away, the mice will play.........soooooo, that's when I take her out and have a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for driving it rough... The Challenger 14 is basically a really big XP.
Same engine, same pump, same electricals. It weighs more, and you can take 4 (or maybe 5) people instead of 2 or 3, so it just won't perform quite as fast.

But you should be able to drive it the same.

This video's short, but shows someone jumping a wake... should be fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0MnM6eSvQ
and here's a power turn/stop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOKAP5fOAA

:rofl:Jumping a wake thats no air had some 4-6 rollers out in the gulf left over from ike this weekend went airborn 4-6 ft off the water but the wife and my 2 girls wasnt to happy about it and made me stop :ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back