RXP-X hood shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wake155

The hood shock on my 2011 RXP-X fell off the top joint that holds the hood up. What's the best way to compress the shock slightly so I can slip it back onto the circular joint?

They are pretty strong don't kno if if can push it in by hand I have a look at my 2011 rxpx when I get home and see how it's set up

Yes, it is very strong and hard to compress. It fell off a few weeks ago and the dealer got it back on for me but I'd like to fix it myself since it isn't going to be at the dealer anytime soon

Maybe this will help.....from March 2010

03-08-10 07:49 PM #2
RogerC
Junior Member RogerC is on a distinguished road RogerC's Avatar

Watercrafts
2004 GTI LE RFI

Feedback Score

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Just replaced mine on a 04 GTI LE RFI, yes they are a pain to compress up, i found the easiest way was to disconnect the little circlip on the bar that goes through the top. from there you can move the linkage into a position to attach the top and bottom of the gas strut.
Then you will have access to push the top of the rod down and back into its hole.
To give a little extra push i put a small square bar under one linkage point and over another on the starboard side of brackets (inside the front compartment) and then pushed down and it gave me just enough leverage to get it all back together.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
10-14-10 01:58 AM #3
TonyCC123
Junior Member TonyCC123 is on a distinguished road

Watercrafts
Seadoo GTX

Feedback Score

Wink Gas strut easy fit

I was advised to fit a slightly shorter gas strut. I got one from Gas Strut Repairs on the Gold Coast at Oxenford, Australia and it simply slides on. Perfect result. If you have to use the original strut then the strut guy has a simple tool that compresses the strut prior to fitting it to the lid. I found him in the yellow pages.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
10-14-10 02:51 AM #4
RFoster130
RFoster130 is just really nice RFoster130 is just really nice RFoster130's Avatar

Watercrafts
1998 Speedster 16.5 Ft. Twin 110HP

Feedback Score
2 (100%)

Take it to an auto parts store and match it up. auto zone has themn for like 20 bucks with a

Just did this remove 2 10mm bolts (back 2 there are ) on hinge of hood, this allows you to open hood far enough to easily place clip back on too ball. Make sure you take out clip and bend it back to original form if it is bent so it locks onto the ball. Slowwly lower hood strut will compress and put bolts back in hinge, replace washer and bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back