Riding on borrowed time... (04-06 GTX exhaust valve thread)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speardoo04

Every time I make a new purchase I read and research all the things that are known to fail. Then I systematically begin to find them and fix them. This no different. I bought an 04 GTX SC in great condition with low hours however, It had ceramic washers and this is what I found after a gut feeling to move ahead and have my head refurbished by $hit block Technology's. I know some will bash that decision, but I would just like to share these pics for anyone else thinking of not replacing their exhaust valves.

20130925_110342.jpg
20130925_110338.jpg

I guess people check this thread out, but no one has anything to input. The tear down went very smooth and meticlious in strict accordance with the shop manual. However the refurbished head I ordered from SBT did not come with head bolts. So when I asked the mechanic and sales person, "what exactly is every single thing I will need to properly install this head swap?" They replied " it comes with everything you will need Including head bolts that are made from SBT for SBT, + rocker arm bolts, cam lock, crank lock, gasket seal and thats it. No mention of Isoflex grease. When the head arrrived, There were no Head bolts. Now im down for a another week and they switched their "friendly" tone to "we never include head bolts" and rudely refused to further assist me. Furthermore, their "master tech" said the cam wear profile does not matter with their new cam and my old rockers!?! WTF. I am furious with their lack of integrity. They may offer the cheapest option for products, but so does walmart, it doesnt mean your getting quality products... I sould have paid the extra money for someone that offers honest service. Im sure they are not all bad, but I feel I have been boldly lied to.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I get where you are coming from.

Anyone can sell fish and it is close in price. It is how you treat me that makes me buy your fish in the future,,,

I have not had any good luck with SBT either. I will not use them in the future even if they are the best price. I'd rather pay a little more for better service.

Is that valve stem on the right, cracked? Must be, otherwise everything looked okay to me except surprised at the barnacles growing in the ports, was there water in the engine oil?

I don't think I would ever buy anything from SBT.........

Yes, the valve stem on the right has a nice size crack in it. Maybe the pic does not do it justice but im sure one more ride and it would have gone. As for SBT, I gave them the benefit of the doubt against all the warnings and I swear they openly lied to me. I know im a new member, but im no rookie to 4 stroke motors. I have every single thing I need except those head bolts. They Infuriate me. Its not the 90$ for bolts, its the principle.

What kind of company addresses how and where to take them to court in their brochure/receipt?!?

I always had very good service with them and have two rebuild engines from them with zero issues. The best thing about SBT is their no fault warranty. They have a large plant and rebuilt many engine, maybe you just a lemon. Did you inspect it before you installed it?

What kind of company addresses how and where to take them to court in their brochure/receipt?!?

I dunno, sometimes that kind of stuff is in the fine print b/c they have to do that or find themselves flying out to BFE somewhere b/c a judge there decided to pursue a lawsuit.

I hope it runs good for ya, you're not the first one I've heard who had an WTF? moment with them. I can't say myself, maybe one day.

I would never buy anything sbt and am rethinking even getting the carbon seal from there that I need. They are a crap company for sure and if you mention a issue on their site pwctoday, they get all bent out of shape and delete or suspend you. No backbone to them at all!

I made a video explaining why im doing the install and how rude their customer service was. I followed all the steps, parts, and torque numbers and installed there head. Il see if it fails after 1-2 hours, then post results. That install was PITA.

That's what I heard, I have a 04 rxp and now a 04 speedster and I really doubt I will be doing this but maybe your video will change my mind. How much did it cost you total in parts?

Sounds like a generic sbt supporter comment? It cant be a lemon, cause theirs no problem yet. I did preventive parts maintenance. I was just venting about how they lied to me about the head bolts, then said I misunderstood. Any mechanic knows NOT to reuse head bolts. I did not skimp out on parts or materials, but the whole ordeal was very unpleasant and downright unprofessional. Yes i took detailed pictures and a video, in case it fails shortly after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Il gather all the receipts and calc it for you. Its just little stuff like Isoflex grease or a torx set, extensions, and special tools that some dont mention on this install that make it add up. Its not the most difficult install but you have to pay close attention and group your nuts/bolts/ and snaps. I wont advertise the SBT head price, im sure you can find it if you are desperate, but tack on an extra +80, then your rocker bolts and... Let me just get that list.

I just got done with the install and I have to say it was frustrating and not the easiest install ive ever done but Is doable if you have moderate mechanical experience and pay careful attention to details. The tricker parts are the timing chain and gear, and stretch bolts. The rest seems like a big ordeal but was simple if you take pictures and group your bolts. ALL OF THEM. Ive put together this Basic list of necessary Tools and parts required for the job. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR BUILD. Im not Certified, just an auto mechanic.
Oh yea, she fired right up and purred, Il water test In a few days and update.

Parts list for head removal and install.

Seadoo Shop manual- compliments of our good friends at seadooforum.com
Isoflex grease 37.19
O-ring 4.95 (oil filter)
Parts Unlimited Oil Filter O-Rings 420230920 5.95
K&N KN-556 Powersports High Performance Oil Filter 11.17
3x NGK (DCPR8E Solid) Standard Spark Plug 11.94
Great Neck OEM 25424 1/2-Inch Torque Angle Gauge (cheap quality) I would not recommend but it works… 11.99
ETorx set, (expensive) I don’t remember what I paid.
Torque wrench 22.00 Napa
Torque wrench 69.00 on sale as sears
Crank lock cam lock and rocker bolts from sbt not advertising their price.
Amsoil 10w 40 wcf 42.93 w/shipping
Head Bolts 89.95
Oil suction pump 12.00 Napa (the red one) works awesome
Thread locker 4.40
Ratchet set, the more diverse the easier the install (extensions are needed)
Xps lube 12.99
Zip ties (lots of them!)
Magnetic extension 7.99
Mechanical fingers 7.99 (help grip tricky bolts from falling down in lower engine)

If there is anything I forgot I will edit this and update. Again, this is just my list to let you know what to expect.

Sounds like a generic sbt supporter comment? It cant be a lemon, cause theirs no problem yet. I did preventive parts maintenance. I was just venting about how they lied to me about the head bolts, then said I misunderstood. Any mechanic knows to reuse head bolts. I did not skimp out on parts or materials, but the whole ordeal was very unpleasant and downright unprofessional. Yes i took detailed pictures and a video, in case it fails shortly after.

If you mean my comment then no, FWIW, I have no plans to buy anything from them based on what I've heard through the grapevine, not even a super-duper heavy duty Chinese carbon seal. Just was sayin' I've never bought anything from them so I can't say anything about my own experience. I don't plan on buying anything from them....... period.

No Sir, That was directed to sselzer, Not in an insulting way but I stand firm that they are not an honest business.

Hi everyone I have a 2004 rxp with the same problem the cylinder no3 exhause valve broke..... goingto part it out... or sell the whole thing for 2k email me at inxszx11@yahoo.com and I can send any pic you wouldwant to see...thanks tim

Another update to my seadoo exhaust valve thread, I took it out today for a test run, roughly about 45 mins on the water. I ran like a champ, but I did notice it seemed to shudder a little bit. It could be in my head, but the rps would fluctuate about 100 rps up and down. I took it easy for th first 20 mins then started to open her up. To my surprise, she was hitting 63-64 @ 7200!!! thats 2MPH more then when I bought it. After a WOT run I did notice white smoke coming from my exhaust. I never noticed it before. Otherwise Id say the test run went well. I Will really put it to extended use tomm. Oh yea....

My next door neighbor has the same Ski, just not SC and he dropped a valve today. Believe me or not. He had to tow his son in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back