Supercharger Rebuild clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDCam

I am looking at upgrading my ski. I am focused in on a couple GTX 185 in the '04 to '06 range..
A big focus of my search is total hours on the ski, has the supercharger been rebuilt and how many hours on it.

I have been reading up on the supercharger and find some conflicting statements. Can any one confirm if these comments are accurate?
  • Pre 2007 ceramic washers were used. These can disintegrate and cause big damage. When the supercharger is rebuilt the ceramics will be replaced with better washers.
  • The original SC were good for only 100 hrs. Most (all?) rebuilds are good for up to 200 hrs
My goal of course is to avoid purchase something that will need almost immediate rebuild.
As the supercharger comes to end of life, is the symptom just loss of power? does that mean you get 50 instead of 60, or it severely suffers

Both of your statements above are true. Yes the came with ceramic washers and rebuild kits will replace those. superchargers are easy to rebuild. The recommendation is to rebuild at 100 hrs with the ceramic washer and 200 hr if they have been replaced with the good washers.

You will power as the supercharger start to slip. They are fairly easy to rebuild yourself but several places online will rebuild for you. cheaper to send off if only 1 ski but if you do several it will be cheaper to do yourself. Special tools are required to take it apart.

Thanks nfdmedic,
Is it safe to assume that if it has been rebuilt already it was done with good washers and not more ceramic? or were the dealers rebuilding with the same OEM components?
If the seller says there is 65 hrs on the rebuild, I can safely assume I have 135 hrs to go and not 35.

The few sellers I have interacted with say they had it done by the dealership, but cant tell me much about the kit they used.

I see lots of info on how to test the SC, but that just confirms its in working order, not what kind of washers or how much life remains

Superchargers are to be rebuilt every two years due to the plastic ball bearing spacers that can fail when they get brittle , or 200 hours, whichever comes first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back