Replacing hull insert and bearing carrier on 94 SPX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdepew

I got my new hull insert and bearing carrier finally today (Thanks, to OSD parts, fast shippers!)...any special way on getting the old one out.....and what needs to be done putting the new one in, I know it has to be epoxied, I was planning on using this http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=52008&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=six_10_epoxy for the epoxy as I heard it is great for this.

hullinsert-carrier.jpg

Also when I am putting all this together, what grease do I need for the cone? and for the bearing carrier?

do i need to grease anything else?

And I need to use that loctite blue on all bolts right?

thanks for any and all info and help!!

Brian

Grease for the Cone??? Are you talking about the cone on the rear of the jet pump? If so... you don't use grease... you need to use 75w-90 GL5 synthetic gear lube.

Now... grease in the carrier... you can use any waterproof/marine grease of your choice.

West systems epoxies are some of the best. That stuff should be good. There isn't anything special about putting the new one in. Just make sure the hole is clean, and put a nice coating on the new fitting... and slide it in. If you get some drips... you can clean it up with alcohol before it cures.

Normally, if there is damage to the old fitting... they come out. But... you can crack it, and pull it out in chunks. Before you go cutting and pounding... measure the ID of the old fitting, and the OD of the new fitting. Normally, the aluminum fittings are made to slip inside the old one. So.. you just cut it flush to the hull, and put the new one in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grease for the Cone??? Are you talking about the cone on the rear of the jet pump? If so... you don't use grease... you need to use 75w-90 GL5 synthetic gear lube.

Now... grease in the carrier... you can use any waterproof/marine grease of your choice.

West systems epoxies are some of the best. That stuff should be good. There isn't anything special about putting the new one in. Just make sure the hole is clean, and put a nice coating on the new fitting... and slide it in. If you get some drips... you can clean it up with alcohol before it cures.

Normally, if there is damage to the old fitting... they come out. But... you can crack it, and pull it out in chunks. Before you go cutting and pounding... measure the ID of the old fitting, and the OD of the new fitting. Normally, the aluminum fittings are made to slip inside the old one. So.. you just cut it flush to the hull, and put the new one in.

Thanks for the info Tony, just a couple of clarification questions:

1. How much gear lube do i put in the rear cone?
2. do I put the carrier on then put in grease thru that little nipple or do i put some inside it BEFORE I put it on the drive shaft?
3. This may be a really dumb question, but do I put the hull insert in from the inside or the outside? I am assuming the inside as the hose as to go over the bigger part of the hull insert.
4. As I am putting this all back together, those are the only things I need to grease or put oil in? And I need to blue loctite all the bolts right?

thanks again for the help

ok So I got the grease and gear oil and all i need to do is do the hull insert then time to put it all back together......
I still have a question on the hull insert..here is a pic now:
2012-06-24 14.27.44.jpg

the hull in sert i have now wont go in side...so do i need to bust out that inner black and then insert the new hull insert and epoxy around it making sure its centered?

also, this pic here:
2012-06-24 14.28.15.jpg
do i need to replace both of those clamps with normal ones? and after I get it all in do I put the grease in the carrier and in this port in this pic too? same grease? and how do i know how much to put in both? and Do I only add grease AFTER I got it all together?

actually after cleaning the lip i was able to fit the new hull insert in, so do I just epoxy all around it?
2012-06-24 14.58.10.jpg

Replacement Hull insert.

actually after cleaning the lip i was able to fit the new hull insert in, so do I just epoxy all around it?
View attachment 12883

Did you just clean up the old plastic hull insert, cut it flush, and insert the new aluminum one? I am fixing to buy the kit and just want to make sure that's how you do it.

Thanks ahead of time and nice work!

jason

Did you just clean up the old plastic hull insert, cut it flush, and insert the new aluminum one? I am fixing to buy the kit and just want to make sure that's how you do it.

Thanks ahead of time and nice work!

jason

Yea, cut it flush, make it nice and smooth and put epoxy on the rigid part of the hull insert and stick her in.

i been driving my ski now alot, love that thing! works great.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I am actually fixing to place an order with them right now! I might replace the wear ring as well since I am there. I found a nice twisted up piece of ski rope around the drive shaft!!!

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I am actually fixing to place an order with them right now! I might replace the wear ring as well since I am there. I found a nice twisted up piece of ski rope around the drive shaft!!!

Thats always fun and exciting. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back