Replace My Intake Grate? Being Told Not Too..............

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

From reading previous forums and posts I decided that as a preventative measure I was going to replace the intake grate on my 03 Seadoo Challenger 1800.

I have purchased the 11 tine stainless steel one and was going to get every other tine removed so I do not restrict the water intake too much.

While at the shop, the guy doing work had asked my why I wanted to do it and says that the one in there seems to be quite rugged. I'm quite sure, but not positive this is the weedless intake system that eveyone has issues with (this is metal, I though the stock was plastic though). It is hinged and similar in shape to the one described as stock but looks a little rough.

Should I still replace it, or just leave this one in? Will I have alot of issues with clogging and such if I switch over to the stainless?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much.

Josh

IMG_20140403_103628_resized.jpgIMG_20140403_103646_resized.jpg

It's up to you.

The weedless system works well... and it has saved me a couple times. (Didn't have to jump in the cold water) BUT... they are known to fail, and cause serious $$$ damage.

So... if your grate is showing any deep corrosion, or other damage... it's time to change it.

Just be aware, that if you run a grassy water... you may be going for a swim once in a while, to clean out a fixed grate.

It's up to you.

The weedless system works well... and it has saved me a couple times. (Didn't have to jump in the cold water) BUT... they are known to fail, and cause serious $$$ damage.

So... if your grate is showing any deep corrosion, or other damage... it's time to change it.

Just be aware, that if you run a grassy water... you may be going for a swim once in a while, to clean out a fixed grate.

I guess I am confused as to why this does anything different then a fixed grate. What does having it on a hinge do? How does it actively help from weeds?

I guess I am confused as to why this does anything different then a fixed grate. What does having it on a hinge do? How does it actively help from weeds?

The surge grate will allow weeds (and other debris) to go through the impeller rather than restrict water intake. It's kind of like a vegamatic. LOL. I had a hedgeapple go through mine once. I replaced mine with a fixed grate a couple of years ago just for the piece of mind. I've seen pictures on here where a tine broke off and did damage to the wear ring and impeller. I have had to pull weeds from it a couple of times. I've been happy with the fixed grate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the feedback, there does not seem to be any bad corrosion, so I guess I'm going to chance it for now and leave the stock unit in.

Hopefully I don't live to regret this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back