Removing Carpet adhesive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flightfollowing

I just got my boat back from storage and I'm getting her ready to get her back in the water. I opened the canopy and I had plants growing out of the carpet that the previous owner installed. I never liked it anyways and I always wanted to get Hydro turf. So I removed the carpet off and now there is all this carpet adhesive on the boat. Anyone know a safe way to get this stuff off with out ruining the gel coat? I was told hot water but that's not really working too well.

3M makes a product called 3M Automotive Adhesive Remover works really well.

Lou

stuff called goo gone. you can find it at wal mart. Spray it on, let it sit 5 minutes and the glue wipes off. I scraped it off with a plastic scraper. Then wipe it all down with alcohol.

Sweet, I had a bottle of it in the garage and used it on a small spot. Just as you guys said, it works wonders. Just to clarify, Goo gone, goo off is fine for our gel coats?

Posting a picture in case someone searches this topic in the future.

Attachments

• carpet.JPG
    carpet.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 48
Goo gone is fine and wont hurt it. There is also a product called goof off. It is a bit more abrasive and i dont think i would use it.

Try WD-40. It's fish oil and wont hurt anything. So many uses for this stuff that so many people dont know about

Update: After 3 hours of scrubbing and grinding. I got 1/8 of the boat done. The goo off/gone works but its slow and at 5 dollars for 8 oz I was buring a hole in my pocket. I did more research on other boats and found out Acetone was safe for gelcoats. Bought a quart at the local hardware store for 6 dollars and went to town. Man this stuff works really well. You have to be careful, the fumes are really strong and make sure your outdoors. I got about 1/2 of the boat done in 2 hours. Taking a break and going to head back out when it gets cooler outside. The heat from the sun helps also.

Flight...glad it worked for you. I was going to suggest lacquer thinner. I've use it before and it's safe.

"just getting it out of storage"...it's August. I'll be putting mine away for the winter blues in the next couple months.

i just finished removing all the old adhesive on a 96 challenger, and the most efficient method was using brake cleaner, spray it on, let it sit for about 5 seconds, and hit it hard with a non scratch scrubby pad from the grocery, it snots up, and wipe the snot up with a throw away rag, repeat, about 90 times. yes its a tad time consuming, but i found brake cleaner much more effective, and no harm done to the boat.

Flight...glad it worked for you. I was going to suggest lacquer thinner. I've use it before and it's safe.

"just getting it out of storage"...it's August. I'll be putting mine away for the winter blues in the next couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back