Question on 1998 Sportster rear seat bottom cushion assembly....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trdehmer

I just picked up a 1998 Sportster with the two Rotax 720's in it - it's in really really good shape. I pulled out the rear seat bottom cushion last night so I can have ColorGlo International fix a small tear/hole in the drivers seat.

Well, I really had to contortion myself in the bilge to reach and loosen and remove the four bolts to allow me to remove the seat. The seat is held in with the four bolts/nuts, and then two plastic darts on each end. Needless to say, when I'm ready to install the seat again I'm having nightmares about trying to get those bolts lined back up to install in such a hard place to reach. Anyone come up with a better means to mount the seat where I wouldn't have to try and get at those bolts/darts?

Also, anything major I should go over? What are the major components go grease up - I also read that maybe there is some gear lube that needs to be changed? I have owners manual, service manual, parts catalog, etc. (all came with the Jet Boat).

Thank you, that is helpful!

What type of gear lube and weight should I use that I could pick up at my local NAPA or O'Reilly Auto Parts store? Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc?

If you align the darts the bolts go right in no problem. The holes are really big to help with that. If I recall correctly I was leaning over the back of the bench seat, reaching in with a ratchet and removing them sort of in an up-side down position (not even sitting in the engine bay). I'm sort of a short chubby dude and with no yoga experience. I'll do pretty much any work I can reach from this position.

Those bolts are too far forward for me to reach in the manner you mentioned...

Anyone know if the bulb can be replaced in the courtesy light? Seems like a sealed unit?

Attachments

• Courtesy Light.JPG
    Courtesy Light.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 13
I'm assuming when I put the rear bottom seat cushion back in, that the two plastic darts on each end are not needed?? Only way to get at them would if I removed both engines and gas tank I think - its a tight fit getting arms/hands back there!

As far as the Gear Lube goes, the 4-tecs use gear lube and the 2-strokes use oil. Unless for some reason the 2-stroke boats went to Gear lube,,,

I put 85/140 Royal Purple Syn. gear lube in the jet pump nose cones. From what I can tell and know, that was the correct thing to do...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back