Question about a hot hose and the exhaust cooling!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faken

Hi guys,

I feel like we're so close to finally having a working boat! The engine is in and we're doing some VERY careful diagnostics to make sure everything is working, especially the cooling system. So just a couple of questions my brother and I had:

1. The hose with the braided covering in this photo, is it normal that this hose gets hot before any of the other cooling lines? We run the engine for maybe a minute and this line starts getting quite hot... you can still touch it, but it's definitely getting hot where the rest of the engine is cold. It runs on top of the compressor and connects to the left fuel rail when looking towards the back standing in front of the engine.

285.jpg

2. In regards to the cooling system for the exhaust, we have the water hose connected to the cooling intake and we're running water through the system. There is a hose that connects to a T connector and then separate hoses go from the T connector to the exhaust on each side. Is water supposed to come out of each end with equal pressure or does it depend on the angle of the boat? We noticed that depending on how the boats sits left to right, water will only flow to one side. Maybe this is due to lack of pressure because the engine isn't actually running and it's just hose pressure?

Thanks for your time guys, we're soooo close!!!

Dan

1) That (should be) the air line for your fuel system. If I'm not mistaken... I'm looking at your air compressor. So yes... that will get crazy hot.

2) If you are on the garden hose... you simply don't have enough pressure and volume to fill the system properly. Go dunk the ass end of the boat in the water (but leave it on the trailer) and start it up. Let the engine pump it's own water for a real evaluation of the system.

Hmmm, I'm a bit befuddled.
The line in question carries cooling water, however I can't say I have noticed that particular line being noticeably warmer. The cooling water comes in through the adapter plate strainer, to the fuel rail, to the compressor, to the second fuel rail, then to the upper exhaust exit(s).

Like DR Honda said, most garden hoses don't have enough flow to sufficiently cool the power head.

This afternoon, I check the hose temps and report back.

Deep breath-
Many times I pop in from the shop, pull up a read, and attempt "to clear the mechanism". Although I read, sometimes I do not comprehend. Such as in this case. Although the poster gave clear, concise info, I erroneously thought the question was about the cooling hose, not the air hose.

I will attempt to pay closer attention before I reply. I'm headed to the pond to breakin a powerhead, afterward, I'll post temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Air hose temp topped out~120 F / To your second question, when on the garden hose, flow outta the mufflers can be a bit sporadic.

OK good to know, thanks guys and no worries RP!! I'm happy to report that the rebuilt engine is performing normally... we had it out for about 30 minutes although didn't go fully wide open for very long and the engine never passed 110F on either side, although I did notice that the side where cylinder 3 is located does get hotter than the other side, which I am told is normal. Considering the normal temps I was told were 150 - 180 and danger zone is 210, we're definitely in good shape! I am using actual cooking thermometers right against the block on either side and have the digital gauges on the back seat to keep an eye on them. When it blew last time, it was within minutes, so clearly the cooling system and engine is running well, water is flowing and exiting the pee hole etc. I am still not sure how much I trust the boat and debating selling it. I ran it without the plastic cover and my wife found it WAY too loud, we'll see once I put the dampening cover back on how much it helps. But I mean it's so loud that you can't even hear the radio over the noise. If I do decide to keep it, I'm going to have all the sensors/alarms checked because I am sure they are not working, or try to figure out how to check it myself.

Thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back