91 XP basket case

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MAL

I have been working on a 91 XP that I acquired in several pieces The process is going pretty good so far. I was able to get it started and hear it run. The compression is 152 and 150 if my gauge is accurate. I started it briefly with the water outlet hose from the head disconnected. I was not running it on a hose...no water in the system. I noticed exhaust smoke coming from the water outlet hose barb on the head. After I killed the engine, and the smoke was still coming out of the outlet fitting, I shot some air up the exhaust outlet at the back of the ski and smoke shot out of water outlet fitting on the head. I am not sure if there is a legitimate reason for this to happen. I don't see a hose that feeds water into the exhaust like most Sea Doo's have.

I suspect that the exhaust will need to be removed and inspected but I just want to try to confirm my suspicions first before I drop my nuts under the bed plate again...my exhaust manifold nuts.

I think I figured it out. It was just a little different than I thought. One of the two hoses does dump water in the front of the exhaust and that is where the exhaust smoke was getting into the water passages while running it with no water in the system...but you guys can still chime in if you want.

Is there any body that knows if the oil pump from a white 587 will work on a yellow 587? It fits and looks the same as far as I can tell, but it does have a different part number.

Back